Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Mrs. A.N.A. ?

sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.

Comments

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool!

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like Louis Vuitton!

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interior views of the coin trays would be nice.

OINK

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the picture, the link in the OP does not work.....No interior pictures? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Thanks for the picture, the link in the OP does not work.....No interior pictures? Cheers, RickO

ricko asks ... ricko receives ... ;)

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options

@astrorat.... Wow... Thanks. Very interesting.. a traveling bureau.... What are those round things on sticks in the bottom box drawer? With the vent holes, it looks like a place for worn garments, and perhaps the puff balls were scented? I have a great imagination :D Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    @astrorat.... Wow... Thanks. Very interesting.. a traveling bureau.... What are those round things on sticks in the bottom box drawer? With the vent holes, it looks like a place for worn garments, and perhaps the puff balls were scented? I have a great imagination :D Cheers, RickO

Designed for pets or small children. The dark "puff ball" were dense sponges that held up to 2 weeks worth of water. ;)

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options

@astrorat... Wow... that is an explanation I would never have thought of... or considered. :D Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    @astrorat... Wow... that is an explanation I would never have thought of... or considered. :D Cheers, RickO

It was how a very young Houdini began his training. ;)

Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

And here I was expecting a pageant.

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

And I was thinking that it would make a great gift for one of our top women A.N.A. staff. Where's Mr. A.N.A. when we need him?

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    ModwriterModwriter Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

Awesome antique piece.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

Notice the bulge on the top.

You know the old-fashioned steamer trunks with the high, rounded lids? There was a reason for that. When you traveled by ship, a "steamer," you kept one or two pieces of luggage in your stateroom to live out of and stowed the rest of your luggage in the hold. Of necessity some stuff was on top, and other stuff was on the bottom with other stuff stacked on top of it. The steamer trunks did not stack well, so they ended up on top. This meant that your stuff did not get crushed by the other stuff, and when the ship was unloading at the pier at the end of the trip your stuff came off first!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file