Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ever bought an album just for 1 coin?

AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 30, 2020 11:21PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I just did. Nice neonish green 1941 D Lincoln.

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,121 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2020 12:20AM

I have not yet can certainly see why you did! Stunningly beautiful cent. I'd imagine even if you replaced it with another and then listed back at an auction you would break even, more or less.
    I am looking forward to seeing it upon arrival to you. Sweet cent!

Edited to add:
    Those older Library of Coins albums are cool (and collectable) too.

peacockcoins

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have only purchased new, empty albums. Though I can understand a collector doing that in some circumstances. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like you will enjoy that one coin for a while, congrats on the find :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,604 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool find!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like those old Library of Coins albums so much I bought half a dozen just to have the albums. They are so nostalgic for me.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought the complete set in a Dansco for this one at an ANA years ago. The price was very right.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice catch

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, then again, the album only had one coin in it!

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way back in college I bought a group of Whitman Lincoln cent folders at an estate sale, very typical partial sets with many holes, but there in one of the slots for the 1922 No D was a 1922 No D.

I have also done the opposite and bought a bunch of coins for the album. Specifically, I have several partial sets of British minor coins in very scarce Whitman Bookshelf albums.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2, 2020 8:24AM

Beautiful coin!

That’s one out of 128.75 million!

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, a large cent album. It was by only opportunity to get a decent looking 1799 large cent at a reasonable price. Half the value was tied up in that one coin. I paid $8,000 for the set of large cents. The 1799 was half the value of the set.

• Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now I bought one cheap album for a bunch of coins. Seller said nothing was toned B) Even with his bad photos I can see nice color.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AlanSki said:
    I just did. Nice neonish green 1941 D Lincoln.

The 42-S obviously.............

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't but, looking back to when I was just getting started on toned coins, I missed out on 3 opportunities....
    Two were roosevelt dimes and one was a franklin set.
    I tried to buy just the ones I liked but it was an all or nothing. Price, overall for all the coins, was not much out of the reasonable range for normal looking coins.

I was cheap, I missed out. I learned.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

Neon is my favorite color too

• Options
    EbeneezerEbeneezer Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

I have and would again. Dependent on the price mind you, some of the remainder going towards upgrades while the remainder were sold or traded for a small profit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file