Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think @mannie gray has given you a tremendous amount of information in that post.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's far superior to most of that date.

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine, which is also a 67, is a little better struck. Ill have to see if have better images of it. While I agree that with the OP that the listed coin is not for me either, it still has very few contact marks and is high end.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll defer to others the technical points, but I understand the OP's reaction.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great explanation by @mannie gray.... Not a coin with remarkable aesthetics, but qualifies for the grade. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jabbajabba Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mannie gray said:
    1983-P quarters are frequently struck with stressed and/or worn out dies...as this coin illustrates.
    This coin has a few small planchet marks that were not struck out when the coin was minted.
    They should not be confused with contact marks -- as this coin has very few.
    If you are a "strike guy" then I would say this coin is not for you...but if you are looking for a 1983-P that has a great strike, you will be looking for a long time. As far as it being "ugly," I disagree.
    It doesn't blow you away with eye appeal, but to me the coin isn't "ugly."

I changed the title thanks for the info on that quarter

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jabba said:

@mannie gray said:
    1983-P quarters are frequently struck with stressed and/or worn out dies...as this coin illustrates.
    This coin has a few small planchet marks that were not struck out when the coin was minted.
    They should not be confused with contact marks -- as this coin has very few.
    If you are a "strike guy" then I would say this coin is not for you...but if you are looking for a 1983-P that has a great strike, you will be looking for a long time. As far as it being "ugly," I disagree.
    It doesn't blow you away with eye appeal, but to me the coin isn't "ugly."

I changed the title thanks for the info on that quarter

You are very welcome.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file