Home U.S. Coin Forum

Satiny, creamy luster, or just toning?

JoeLewisJoeLewis Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone. I've seen references to frosty luster vs. satiny or creamy luster. Is this what we're seeing here? Satiny/creamy on the left vs. frosty on the right? Or is the one on the left just toned to give it that look?

Comments

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

hazy toning, I would say

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

Me thinks exposure to differing conditions causes the silver surface to evolve. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2020 7:18PM

Hard to say for sure some types of lighting can give a photo that look also. When I think of satiny creamy luster this is the look that comes to my mind.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • JoeLewisJoeLewis Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:
    Hard to say for sure some types of lighting can give a photo that look also. When I think of satiny creamy luster this is the look that comes to my mind.

Thanks for your example.

I should have stated that the two examples I gave were taken from the same dealer (presumably under the same lighting setup).

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's frosty in my book:

Here's satiny. This coin has cartwheel luster, but it's more subdued. It's very difficult to capture in a photo:

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have to see the coins in the OP in hand.... Really difficult to say what the situation is with the coin on the left. I tend to think the appearance is due to environmental storage (i.e. a tarnish), though not typical. Cheers, RickO

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first image looks like it has very nice luster but the photo is a bit washed out, no doubt a nice coin though.

As far as frosty luster, I don't think they come more frosty than this Ike. It has to have been one of the very first off a fresh die pair. To describe it, imagine what the devices of a DCAM proof look like, now imagine that fields are the same texture.

I have none other like it.

Collector, occasional seller

• ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭✭✭

This '33-S Walker of mine I'd consider satiny:

While I would consider my '76-S 20c to be frosty:

However, that's only my interpretation.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file