Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

what is this on marsh-billings-rockefeller 2020 5 oz unc?

ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

just received the 5oz unc mbr silver puck from the mint and noticed a ding on washington's nose - what is this? do you normally return something if it comes w a mark like this?

Comments

• Options
    Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

A third nostril?

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

that's the thing. the mint is watching returns now. in the past i would have said return it for exchange.

looking at the second extreme closeup, I see dimples in that cavity. I'd guess whatever it is, that it was there before blasting it. unsure of what caused that.

these come with brown spots I call chocolate milk spots. acetone certainly doesn't take it off. also, check the rims for contact marks. you'd think that after a special finish they'd handle them with white gloves, but these can come with contact marks.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

thanks @MsMorrisine - great eye - it did indeed appear to have the blasting texture over it in-hand too

only glanced at the rims, so I'll go back to it and check it out

would be great if another forum member had one of these to compare the nose area - was gonna get 2 at first anyways because of the 13750 mintage, but at 229 and silver nose-diving, think ill hold off on that

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

you'll also find blasted over strike throughs.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a ding acquired during processing, and as pointed out, subsequent treatment covered it. If there are others, then it would be a die mark.... All that being said, if it bothers you now, it will always bother you... and likely more each time you look at it. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭

A booger. All jokes aside it just looks like a small ding

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file