Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Collectibles Not Worth Keeping

Just read an article that listed 40 collectibles not worth keeping and one item listed was Morgan Silver Dollars. Said millions were made, worth more than a dollar but not much more than the silver they're made of. Also listed were Indian Head Cents.

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2020 9:54AM

@DoubleDime said:
    Just read an article that listed 40 collectibles not worth keeping and one item listed was Morgan Silver Dollars. Said millions were made, worth more than a dollar but not much more than the silver they're made of. Also listed were Indian Head Cents.

D'oh! I just bought a Morgan Dollar as a Christmas present!

What were they selling or recommending instead?

And were they buying coins ;)

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Non-silver proof and mint sets? I’m tempted to crack mine open and just spend them. They take up too much room and they’re collecting dust.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2020 11:26AM

I read that article, too.

I'm sure they were referring to common date, circulated coins.

Morgans and IHCs with absolute rarity and in high grade condition are, obviously, very sought after and valuable.

I certainly don't need a generic article to tell me that. lol

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Link to the article? Wouldn't mind reading it.

Thanks.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2020 11:33AM

@bronzemat said:
    Link to the article? Wouldn't mind reading it.

Thanks.

Here you go:

https://considerable.com/money/estate-planning/worthless-collectibles/

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss said:
    The problem with made-for-consumer info like that designed to get clicks is that it only tells part of the story, and that poorly.

There are many very valuable Morgan dollars. And the circulated examples that don't have numismatic value have silver value in a form that is easy to afford and easy to liquidate.

Somewhere out there is a grandkid or recent widow reading that "article" and deciding a beautifully matched Dansco Morgan Dollar album that took a lifetime to assemble should be deposited at the bank.

The article clearly states Morgans are worth more than a dollar.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the article was written by a "Jack of all trades--Master of none" type person. A person that just inherited a pile of Morgans reads the article and then sells all his BU Morgans including better dates for $20 each. Of course he means only common well circulated coins, but the article does not say that.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rec78 said:
    I think the article was written by a "Jack of all trades--Master of none" type person. A person that just inherited a pile of Morgans reads the article and then sells all his BU Morgans including better dates for $20 each. Of course he means only common well circulated coins, but the article does not say that.

I don't know. I kind of get he idea he'd try to pay that at his pawn shop.

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:

@rec78 said:

Yes i totally agree with your assessment here. He wants to by better coins on the cheap.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmmm...If they aren't worth keeping then they are not a collectible!

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rec78 said:

@daltex said:

@rec78 said:

Yes i totally agree with your assessment here. He wants to by better coins on the cheap.

Don’t we all! lol!

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

The article is from an estate-planning perspective. From that viewpoint, I completely agree. I imagine the majority of people "investing" in coins overestimate their value and seriously underestimate the opportunity cost of holding them. Unless you're a coin dealer, your coins shouldn't be something you're counting on for retirement. If you are a dealer, it seems prudent to diversity in something outside of your area of business too.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭✭✭

@skier07 said:
    Non-silver proof and mint sets? I’m tempted to crack mine open and just spend them. They take up too much room and they’re collecting dust.

As Cladking says, get those mint sets cut up. B)

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2020 7:06PM

After researching the author a little bit it looks like he just writes crap articles on anything. He has less expertise than a high school newspaper editor.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭

If anyone's cutting up & spending non-silver Mint sets, I'm still looking for some 2019 & 2020 ATB quarters & 2020 halves/dollars, and would appreciate the help!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The article is just the other end of the spectrum from 'Your pocket change could be worth millions'. Though I did chuckle at the Beanie Baby part... I knew some people who were collecting them... and recall seeing in the mall (Southcenter in Seattle) a kiosk with a couple which were priced at $4000.... Often wondered if they sold, and 'where are they now?'... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MizzouMizzou Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - I have some Winchester rifles that were left to me by my father. They were mass produced by the millions but to me they're priceless.

Sometimes I think that animals are smarter than humans, animals would never allow the dumbest one to lead the pack

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file