Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Team Cards...born again love

BuckHunter68BuckHunter68 Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
edited November 29, 2020 9:01AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I never liked team cards....never even paid attention to them, really. Little blurry faces from a distance just didn't excite me at all..
I had some when I built my sets, but I needed the numbers, of course.
As many collectors learn, our tastes change. I have suddenly found an appreciation for these. I'm excited to add some nice ones to my hoarde. Anyone else collect team cards? Post pics and you'll have an audience of at least one guy!

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella

Comments

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never specifically sought them out, but for the sets I collect I do enjoy them, along with any other cards that are “special” in the set. Here are a few ‘72s I self-subbed....

• mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

I enjoy team cards with unique images like the '56 Giants with Lombardi and the '56 Colts with Shula. And the Dodgers card is just cool because of its place in history. I'm from Seattle so the Pilots high number is a treasure.

Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always liked the Cubs team cards when they were different from all the others. Never knew why Topps did them that way.
    Dave - Those '72s are awesome!

Daniel

@BaltimoreYankee said:
    I always liked the Cubs team cards when they were different from all the others. Never knew why Topps did them that way.
    Dave - Those '72s are awesome!

I felt the same way about the Cubs cards. Still not sure why the team photo was normal in ‘73 and ‘75.

@mcolney1 said:

I'm from Seattle so the Pilots high number is a treasure.

I guess that’s the only Pilots team card, huh? This would be a cool item for the Pilots collector...

• AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like them. As an autographed card collector, they offer a degree of flexibility that cannot be found with other cards. Using team cards, I can get coaches, team owners, particular media or specific combinations of players signatures on bubble gum cards that I would not be able to otherwise.

Unfortunately the only AFL team cards are in the 1964 Topps set, but I have more than 200 different signed examples in my collection. You can check them out here:

https://talesfromtheamericanfootballleague.com/autographed-afl-trading-cards/autographed-1964-topps-team-cards/

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like them. For the last 5-6 years, I've thought about doing a complete PSA run of Phillies team cards. One of these days.

Andy

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are a few of my favorites!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only team cards I own are the ones needed for the Steve Garvey Master Set:

• GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

First year collecting ... favorite team.

Floating heads didn’t bother me for another 40 years when folks on this board starting complaining about them

• mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

Are there others you are just not showing? I would assume there would be a regular Topps 71, 75, 76, 77, 78 & 79 to go with those you showed, not to mention the OPC versions (you got 71 covered), the send-away team card sheets of 1975-81, etc.

@stevegarveyfan said:

I have never really loved team cards specifically, but have not hated them either. They were part of the set s when I started and was disappointed to see the stat leader teams cards start up in 1982. Was happy to see full team photo cards return in the late 90s or early 2000s too, but by then was not collecting sets or opening packs, so it would not have affected me either way.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mrmopar said:
    Are there others you are just not showing? I would assume there would be a regular Topps 71, 75, 76, 77, 78 & 79 to go with those you showed, not to mention the OPC versions (you got 71 covered), the send-away team card sheets of 1975-81, etc.

@stevegarveyfan said:

I have never really loved team cards specifically, but have not hated them either. They were part of the set s when I started and was disappointed to see the stat leader teams cards start up in 1982. Was happy to see full team photo cards return in the late 90s or early 2000s too, but by then was not collecting sets or opening packs, so it would not have affected me either way.

No sir, these are the only ones I have that are PSA-graded. It was not until recently that I began to search in earnest for some of the team cards. I hope to eventually acquire them all in either PSA 9 or PSA 10.

• BuckHunter68BuckHunter68 Posts: 379 ✭✭✭

I like the pics. Very interesting to see and hear the different interests.

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella

• BuckHunter68BuckHunter68 Posts: 379 ✭✭✭

@ahopkins said:
    I like them. For the last 5-6 years, I've thought about doing a complete PSA run of Phillies team cards. One of these days.

DO IT!

• dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

This has always been a favorite of mine.

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 451 ✭✭✭✭✭

Floating heads discussion needs a photo! Back in the late 70's, the Cubs sold these 11 x 14 team pictures at Wrigley. I believe Topps used them for team cards.

• clarke442clarke442 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭✭✭

Team Cards have always been a favorite of mine, whether or not I had a favorite player or not, I love my home teams.

edited December 1, 2020 10:43AM

@Chicago1976 said:
    Floating heads discussion needs a photo! Back in the late 70's, the Cubs sold these 11 x 14 team pictures at Wrigley. I believe Topps used them for team cards.

Do you know of a reason why the 1973 and 1975 team pictures were normal as opposed to floating heads?

• Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 451 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:

@Chicago1976 said:

Do you know of a reason why the 1973 and 1975 team pictures were normal as opposed to floating heads

@PaulMauI, Unfortunately I do not know. I checked eBay and it appears the Cubs sold floating head team 8 x10s in '73 and '75.

• mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:

@mcolney1 said:

I'm from Seattle so the Pilots high number is a treasure.

I guess that’s the only Pilots team card, huh? This would be a cool item for the Pilots collector...

I've got the poster too! Not cheap, but so cool!

Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love team cards

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always liked the team checklists. Like some of you, I've considered doing a graded run of my own favorite team, which is the Royals, but haven't yet.

I've always enjoyed noticing the little quirks in the various photos, like the floating heads, or the A's coaches with their white caps, or the various duds worn by the non-player personnel.

One particular card that I've always liked is the 1977 Baltimore Orioles checklist. It includes Reggie Jackson in his Orioles uniform.

Another oddity - In the 2007 set, Topps brought back the team photos. For all teams EXCEPT the Royals. This is the photo used for the team card.

(Let the jokes ensue...)