Home U.S. Coin Forum

Got my last coin back from grading set is complete!

jabbajabba Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s a good feeling to complete a set my Washington quarter set (see sig line link) I didn’t get a straight cross but that’s ok
1998 MS66+ with awesome strike for some reason not a lot of these got graded compared to other dates and PCGS MS67 examples are selling for $200+ at auction

Comments

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice. The last year of the real Washies.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great! Now you can start on the proof issues!

• AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

1998 was a weird time as a young collector. You still would have decent silver in your register every week and the smart cashiers took em, like they did 50 years before them. There wasn't much money in it because of manipulated markets. But the people who hoarded them for 10 years laughed their ways to the bank.

If you collected coins, you had Your Guy, and everyone went to shows. Even if you didn't go for the coins, it was an excuse to get out of the house and eat hot dogs. The raw market game was wild.

Oddly enough silver halves were hard to find. Clad was still big. I paid for two sundaes and three burgers at a Friendly's with clad JFK in 1998. Twelve bucks maybe? $2.95 for a sandwich and basket of fries was pretty nice. Things almost still tasted like real food then, too.

People still paid their larger newspaper bills with half dollars if they didn't have bills/change until 02-04. Looking back, it was a surprisingly common thing that I kinda just forgot about. Clad dollars were as popular then as they are now =/ but people made sure to pull silver quarters out. I got a lot of scrap dimes but they saved my ass 10 years later, so, kinda not really scrappy when I look back.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jabba.... That is one, very, very, nice quarter. Congratulations on completing your set. Cheers, RickO

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way cool

• Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice!

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice one!

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on a nice set @jabba

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations 🍾

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on completing the set, some of those clads are tough to find in high grade.

• OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice quarter........ superior strike and very clean surfaces. Undergraded at 66.5 IMHO. But not a time to argue with PCGS........just a time to congratulate you for completion of this set with a great coin.

OINK

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file