Home U.S. Coin Forum

My first DCarr piece, and more from the LCS

thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've done this before, telling my tale of an hour or afternoon spent at the LCS. I like to remind or even let people know that you never know what you'll find, and that it can be fun to collect on a budget. For full disclosure, if I am ever blessed with the option to collect "in the deep end", I don't think I'll ever want to stop perusing the LCS.

The owner, his brother, his son, and other family members are always guaranteed to provide good numismatic, political, etc conversation. This time the owner was by himself, and there were enough customers coming and going that good conversation was off the menu.

I usually start with the 90%. I have a list of Washington Quarters (my favorite series) and Barber Dimes, Quarters, and Halves that are, in my opinion, worth grabbing if found for near spot. I didn't have any luck, but enjoyed going through it. I do have a someday idea of putting together a set or date run of CircCam Roosevelts, so I grabbed these two.

I like to go through the world silver junk bin with my loupe. I don't know enough about world coins to always know what I'm looking at, so I will Google a lot of them. This can be fun and educational. I was able to find one coin I thought worth saving and taking home. 1890 Straits Settlements ten cents.

I was surprised when I saw this @dcarr piece sitting in a tray of Peace Dollars and Morgans. I've never owned one of his pieces, but I decided to ask for a price. I hadn't intended to spend so much, but I thought it happenstance, so....

Right around $40 total for everything. Not too bad.

Thanks for reading!

Comments

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice my friend! :)

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

You did well for $40 on that D. Carr Cob.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:
    You did well for $40 on that D. Carr Cob.

That included the two Roosies and the other small silver coin. So I agree.

edited November 28, 2020 8:09PM

@Hallco said:
    Very nice my friend! :)

Thank you my friend.

Edit to add: Nice running into you here. :D

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

You did good :)

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree. Great haul for $40.

• SimpleCollectorSimpleCollector Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2020 8:49PM

Awesome experience, write up and purchase! It’s important to support good LCS. The roosies reminded me of the simple joy most of us probably had when we started in the hobby, and the dc piece is just cool. Congrats on a good day!

@SimpleCollector said:
    Awesome experience, write up and purchase! It’s important to support good LCS. The roosies reminded me of the simple joy most of us probably had when we started in the hobby, and the dc piece is just cool. Congrats on a good day!

When I got back into collecting in my late thirties, after doing it as a child, one of the first realizations that I came to was that i love CircCams. At first I was just drawn to the look, but after some time I came to realize that @lordmarcovan had given a name to the look and other collectors felt the same as I do. I love going through 90% and I've noticed a lot of Roosies have the look I like. I'll grab them sporadically. I've been thinking about being more proactive about it and trying to do a set, but until then I have maybe a dozen or two dates.

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2020 9:41PM

Nice score! And maybe more valuable than you think.

For starters, your Carr piece originally sold for $80.

And it looks like you've got a Moonlight Mint certificate -- hand-signed on the backside? These are the low-mintage versions sold to the public thru the Moonlight Mint. The antiqued silver versions produced by Mr. Carr used "a patina & hand-burnishing process".

See the footnotes: "1715 Fleet 300th Anniversary Cobs [struck in 2015]"

The high-mintage versions were antiqued & sold by a third-party -- and sometimes sell on ebay for $40's. I got mine a few years ago for $47.

More info:
    http://www.dc-coin.com/2001apolloastronautlargebronzemodelproof-1-2-1-1-1-2-4-3-2.aspx
    http://www.dc-coin.com/treasurecobs.aspx

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

@dcarr said:
    The cob looks like one that I antiqued and distributed myself, as opposed to the bulk of them that were antiqued via a different process (by somebody else) and sold by a distributor. Only the ones that I sold came with the Moonlight Mint label.

@COCollector said:
    Nice score! And maybe more valuable than you think.

For starters, your Carr piece originally sold for $80.

And it looks like you've got a Moonlight Mint certificate -- hand-signed on the backside? These are the low-mintage versions sold to the public thru the Moonlight Mint. The antiqued silver versions produced by Mr. Carr used "a patina & hand-burnishing process".

See the footnotes: "1715 Fleet 300th Anniversary Cobs [struck in 2015]"

The high-mintage versions were antiqued & sold by a third-party -- and sometimes sell on ebay for $40's. I got mine a few years ago for $47.

More info:
    http://www.dc-coin.com/2001apolloastronautlargebronzemodelproof-1-2-1-1-1-2-4-3-2.aspx
    http://www.dc-coin.com/treasurecobs.aspx

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2020 9:52PM

Looks like a genuine MM certificate. The handwritten "B" suggests/confirms you've got die pair B. Also looks like a much nicer antique-ing job than mine.

And I'm guessing the cert is hand-signed on the back.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2020 10:31PM

Nice write up, Eric. Looks like you did well!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

@COCollector No signature. The back is blank.

• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

That toned 1986 American Silver Eagle would have been an immediate grab too! Was the price too high?

peacockcoins

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2020 11:20PM

Dan's catalog indicates just 9 were finished and released by the Moonlight Mint while approximately 6,650 were finished by a distributor.

Is 6,650 the highest mintage for a Dan Carr product?

http://www.moonlightmint.com/dc-coin_cobs_list.htm

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice acquisitions.... and even better now that the Dan Carr piece has been identified. Cheers, RickO

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those CircCam Roosies are cool. That’s a type I see rather less often with a CircCam appearance.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2020 9:40AM

The cobs are really challenging to collect as many of them are downright rare as can be seen from the mintages. You just never see many of them!

I also like the high mintage pieces because they are always available and easy to pick up. They are just fun pieces to hold in your hands raw.

@braddick said:
    That toned 1986 American Silver Eagle would have been an immediate grab too! Was the price too high?

Good call! I might just go back and check it out!

@lordmarcovan said:
    Those CircCam Roosies are cool. That’s a type I see rather less often with a CircCam appearance.

I don't hit many shows or LCS other than this one, but I'll see some now and then. I have maybe a half a roll of them, give or take I think.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

The cob was a great find. It was easily worth more than what you paid for the lot.

All glory is fleeting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file