Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Numismatic gift suggestions for little ones?

Was hoping to get some input from members here, my niece who is young has an interest in coins, on top of the regular gifts im purchasing this year I decided to throw in a couple numismatic items, however im struggling to figure out what I should purchase to instill some curiosity or fire. What have you guys had success with in the past gift wise for a yn? anything yall can recommend.
Currently ive purchased a 2009 penny set, but unsure what else to throw in. ..
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-Lincoln-Bicentennial-Penny-8-pc-Set-P-D-Mint-Red-Packaging/143656166078?hash=item21729322be:g:62wAAOSwXEdaX5vL

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,019 ✭✭✭✭✭

I may get flamed, but there's a lot of nice topical non-US NCLT. Kids really like them.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2020 4:25PM

Maybe find out the year one of her grandparents or great-grandparents were born, and buy her coins to put together either a Year Set of raw coins (and you can place the coins in a nice Birth Year Set holder), or put together a graded Year Set in grades that your budget allows. Unless the date is a very tough year, this latter suggestion can be accomplished at very low cost.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's she interested in? Get her something like that. What you shouldn't get is what you think she should be interested in.

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    I may get flamed, but there's a lot of nice topical non-US NCLT. Kids really like them.

Yes there are such as: Disney Princesses, Mickey and Mini Mouse, Marvel Superheroes, Lunar Calendar series, Birth Month Coins, and many others.

What ever she likes their is a coin for that.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

A coin with a truly beautiful design, such as a Walker in AU58 up with lots of luster. Then, you know her likes better than us. Maybe she is the type that loves quantity. If so, get her a 1946 through 1958 Lincoln Cent collection, which is very inexpensive and allows her to fill the remainder with Cents out of pocket change and bank rolls. Then if it catches she can go after the earlier, one at a time.
    Best of luck and Merry Christmas to all.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

My daughter likes panda bears; she really liked the Chinese Panda in silver. They have copper rounds available too.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2020 6:15PM

young niece...

attainable but needs a coin store or ebay to keep up with it...

sac & n.a. dollars. and don't forget there are up edge letters and down edge letters.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

How young? Get a handful of foreign bulk, throw in a couple older US coins. Then go to hobby lobby and get a small, wooden treasure chest. Fill chest with coins.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hate to say it but trying to convince a kid to collect by date and mintmark seems hopeless. Find her one really interesting historical piece, put it in a really old envelope or box, and tell her the story behind it. Could be a medal, a coin, a banknote, a token, whatever. It will either light a fire or it won't, but at least you've got a shot.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

As I can only speak from my personal experience. I think the term is recycler , it fascinates me that I can go to the bank and get rolls to search and pay face value. I feel like I’m treasure hunting anyway that’s what pulled me in 20yrs. Ago

• Options
    PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

MS65 PCGS CAC Saint will get her attention.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

If she’s already somewhat interested in coins, then I’d suggest flipping through a CoinWorld or similar magazine and take note of things she points out. Also take note of what this young lady advises:

https://youtu.be/pZHIa1cw7CI

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

OP,

You know her better than we do.

Perhaps browsing will help you identify something that will pique her interest.

https://www.apmex.com/the-holiday-shop?_campaign=holiday2020-regular-11052020-theHolidayShop-topstrip

Good Luck !!!

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2020 9:18AM

@goldrealmoney79 said:
    Was hoping to get some input from members here, my niece who is young has an interest in coins, on top of the regular gifts im purchasing this year I decided to throw in a couple numismatic items, however im struggling to figure out what I should purchase to instill some curiosity or fire. What have you guys had success with in the past gift wise for a yn? anything yall can recommend.

What kind of interest has she shown? Given that she's shown some interest, I would try to build on that.

If you want to instill curiosity and $90 isn't too much, this coin just sold and I think it's the kind of coin a kid might treasure for decades.

When I was a kid I had a bit of circulated silver but I would have been fascinated by a BU coin from the 1800s. I had silver-dollar sized moderns, but it would have been amazing to have one from the 1800s. I also had circulation coins, world coins, and other items, but it's the large silver pieces that kept my interest over the years, even today, I fondly remember my 3 large silver-dollar sized pieces (1 US, 2 world coins).

• Options
    ElectricityElectricity Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2020 9:34AM

I really wish someone would of started me out in Numismatics early in my life, didn’t get started until my mid 30’s.

For a young person why not get a 7070 and do a type set with them, seems like a good start point. Also for stocking stuffers.. 1g Silvers and .5g gold are really nice, plus if they loose them it’s not the end of the world

How about a kid sized metal detector, could be a ton of fun for a youngster.. plus the treasure hunt and getting them out of the house and off the phone for a while. The whole family could get involved

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

A silver eagle of her birth year that she can HOLD in her hands. So what if she gets fingerprints on it? The heft of it may spark a collecting passion.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    DreamcrusherDreamcrusher Posts: 210 ✭✭✭✭

My suggestion for one of your purchases is to get her a YN ANA membership. There are a lot of programs that she can become a part of based on her interests. She would also receive the monthly electronic Your Newsletter. Here is a link for more information: https://www.money.org/young-numismatists

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2020 4:12PM

Kids like animals and variety. I suggest buying her a pound or two of bulk foreign coins to see what her interests may be. A 1967 Canadian mint set is something that might attract a child. How about a two cent piece and three cent or a Large cent? None of these are very expensive. A buffalo nickel. Kids usually like to touch the coins, so I do not recommend slabbed coins at this point. Perhaps a Red Book?
    My dad got me started with the Whitman Lincoln cent folders and a bag of cents from the bank to go though. I enjoyed this method of collecting all my life.
    Oh, yeah! Take her to coin shows! There sometimes is a YN box full of donated coins for kids.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

State or National Park quarters Whitman album. She will be searching change for the next 10 years.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

How young?
    Most kids want to handle stuff. I'd get her a worn silver dollar and/or half dollar that she can put her paws on and show her friends.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

an old 5 coin type set of circulated stuff - barber year range or walking liberty year range

• Options
    nickelsciolistnickelsciolist Posts: 195 ✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2020 5:04PM

Someone once advised me the best gift you can give a kid is time. If you just give them coins, they are not likely to value them, but if you give them your time, you are investing in them the most valuable asset you have, and it is more likely your passion for coins with catch on with them. I have found with my Grandkids that they love going through rolls with me. In this way they have each built their own State and Natl Park quarter sets. I also let them keep any coins they find from their birth year, but they have to spend the money with me. They really like going through pennies and finding wheaties, one has a collection going back to 1935, also another one has done a complete year set of Jefferson Nickels. Not each one is as interested as are a couple of them, but they all have kept the coins they worked hard to find :).

Anyway...my advice...

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

Get them the biggest and shinny coin you can find so they will never lose nor misplace it. (5 oz us Quarter, 10 oz British queens beast or 1 Kilo Australian zodiac.)

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2020 5:52PM

Asked the same question back in '06
    Best suggestion I got was 'big and 'shiny'
    That silver panda idea sure rings the bell.

edit to say I should have just posted what @TurboSnail said lol

• Options
    cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

You need to give them something they can identify with. I give all my grandchildren 100 year old Gold from their birth year and 200 year old Silver from their birth year...

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disney Dollars.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try a bunch of wheat cents and a Whitman album and see if it takes.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe a few odd denomination type coins, such as a half cent, two cent piece, three cents silver and copper nickel. The time factor, as pointed out by nickelsciolist would be important, too. Those Innovation bucks, as suggested by ReadyFireAim would be a winner, too.

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins can be swallowed. Don’t gift them to anyone under 18.

• Options
    FredFFredF Posts: 526 ✭✭✭

I would go with different coins. When my kids were YN's, whitman had a 20th century type folder. You can get that thing filled up super cheap. You can start with the folder and a sample - a wheatie, an IHC, a buffalo nickel, and a Morgan Dollar (kids are ok with whizzed dollars - don't pay much more than melt for one.) Put those in the folder. Then go through the pocket change of the adults that are around, and see if you can find any of the other coins - you will assuredly get a memorial cent, shield cent (if there's a spot, which I bet there is now), Jeffy, clad Roosie, clad Washington. That gives you a good chunk of the book. Then you can bring a newp over whenever you see her, and once Covid passes, take her to a B&M and pick out hole-fillers.

Strong suggestion - treat these coins as toys not collectibles. Don't emphasize how to take care of them. Let her play with them, take them out of the album, put them back in. Let her put them in reverse facing out if she wants. Don't tell her how to enjoy the coins, let her enjoy them.

Suggestion #2 - whenever you send her a letter, and do send her letters from time to time, use stamps bought from a local B&M - get the stamps for less than face. She may not save any of them, but she'll see that cool stamps once were a thing.

Successful BST (me as buyer) with: Collectorcoins, PipestonePete, JasonRiffeRareCoins

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some stamps still are a cool thing-

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Take her shopping and let her pick out the item(s) that interest her. Time well spent.

If you must purchase something a coin 100 years older than her might be of interest.

Remember to wrap a story around the coin to give it some perspective.

Good luck. Above all as another poster said, giving your time is the most precious gift. If it happens to include numismatics all the better.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

I talked to my kids about coins for Christmas today. Size matters, they both want something big. She (10) likes foreign mor and he (7) wants American. Each will probably get a grab bag. Maybe an odd denomination for the boy. He likes 20cent pieces, so maybe a cheap 3c nickel?
    If she’s already in to something - dolls, horses, Disney, animals, etc. - there’s something out there for her.
    If she’s into whatever you’re into (like I was with my uncle), get her interesting stuff and spend the time to let her know why it’s interesting.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

If she already has an interest, try to build on that. Also a birth year set... A Redbook may be applicable, you can best judge that one. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

What got me started (at age 8) was some clad kennedy's, $2 bills, ike dollars and "rare" coins, then my dad took me to a coin shop bought me a 1936 circulated buffalo, mercury dime and a ike 40% in mint packaging, and 9 years later here I am.

• Options
    RedStormRedStorm Posts: 221 ✭✭✭

@TurtleCat said:
    If she’s already somewhat interested in coins, then I’d suggest flipping through a CoinWorld or similar magazine and take note of things she points out. Also take note of what this young lady advises:

When I saw it was over 10 minutes long, I said ‘no way am I watching it all.’ But I did! What a great YN and representative for the younger collectors and she had some good ideas and suggestions. Thanks for posting!

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RedStorm said:

@TurtleCat said:

When I saw it was over 10 minutes long, I said ‘no way am I watching it all.’ But I did! What a great YN and representative for the younger collectors and she had some good ideas and suggestions. Thanks for posting!

She is very articulate and I had the same feeling when I first started watching. Just kept watching. It’s always nice to see young people who are both enthusiastic and well spoken.

• Options
    EScott83EScott83 Posts: 90 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I own a small E-Commrce coin site and one of the things we sell are what we've coined (pardon the pun) "Fun Rolls" which are salted rolls intended to be fun (and profitable) to dig through. As a child "roll searching" was fantastic time spent with my father, as I would guess it was with many collectors. I'd like to donate one of our Fun Rolls for your cause.

If you'll PM me I'll make arrangements to send you one.

Kind regards...and enjoy!

E.J.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

You could consider a combination of incorporating themes and nationalities into numismatics. Maybe coins that feature animals or subjects that you know are of interest to her from far away places might encourage a global perspective of what is possible to collect.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

Are we talking 5 years old or 17? I think a five year old would get more out of some foreign coins as they are obviously different from the coinage they are used to. As a teen if they are the historical type maybe some "junk" mercs, maybe a franklin half.

Attractive circulated coins give me a thrill now, just as they did when I was 13 or so :)

Evan Saltis in the real world.
    University of Maine
    Politics, food, numismatics, and Lithuanian/Slav genealogy.
    Feel free to contact me at any time!

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2020 3:04PM

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file