Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1876 Centennial Token in Rubber Certified by PCGS

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 28, 2020 8:13AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I'm a big fan of medals and tokens in unusual compositions and have been looking at a raw rubber medal from Florence Manufacturing on eBay for some time.

Now suddenly, the raw specimen is joined by two slabbed ones, one from PCGS and one from ATS!

I do like the 1776-1876 USA Centennial design on this medal.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins.... I like that one.... Interesting they used a different font for the two dates.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @Zoins.... I like that one.... Interesting they used a different font for the two dates.... Cheers, RickO

Perhaps the engraver was deliberately trying to duplicate the different fonts you might have seen on a coin of 1776 and a then current coin of 1876.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just sold a raw one on eBay. Mine was black, not brown.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway ... Thanks, that point did occur to me, but did not do research for confirmation. Makes good sense though. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭

Interesting piece. Thanks for sharing.

Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Schenkman lists the piece in black and brown but I've seen one in a brick red (not maroon) in an advanced Centennial collection.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    I just sold a raw one on eBay. Mine was black, not brown.

I hope my thread helped that sell for you :)

• Options

@tokenpro said:
    Schenkman lists the piece in black and brown but I've seen one in a brick red (not maroon) in an advanced Centennial collection.

I've seen the brick red one too. Wonder how many colors these come in.

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Early (pre-1880) hard rubber is limited to basically four colors: black, brown, maroon and brick red. There are some similar compositions that are lumped under hard rubber that come in a light brown, mustard yellow and green (think of the Union Coffee series that comes in a more brittle composition). There are a couple two color pieces that are layered, usually with black and red on obverse and reverse (most for the 1876 Centennial).

Sometime you will see an early classic style hard rubber piece that is black on one side and brown on the other. After some experimentation by Dave Schenkman and others this color combination was found to be fading from sun/environment exposure rather than two different colors.

Celluloid (which was partly developed as a replacement for ivory) is a totally different compound which is easily tinted during manufacture into a rainbow of colors.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice how the design used much of the exergue. And that USA is fantastic! Thanks for that. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file