Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1923s Die cracked peace dollar

silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭✭✭

well got this yesterday in the mail and found it has two die cracks one on the top of the coin and one near the bottom

The coin is graded PCGS MS63

Top die crack

Bottom die crack

Comments

• Options

I'm not very familiar with VAM's, but I would see if any of the top 100 listed are of this type or if it is just something special to add to the coin.

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Die cracks on Peace dollars are VERY common. You can see if the cracks match up to any of the known 1923-S VAMs here. Be aware that in almost all cases, the cracks have to have progressed to breaks (blobs of metal) that are visible to the naked eye, in order to be listed as a VAM. It's possible you have an early die state of a listed VAM, and the cracks haven't become breaks yet.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options

thanks for the info i'll bookmark that site for research

i gathered die crack were pretty common on peace dollars but this is the only peace dollar i have bought with two die cracks on it

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Die cracks are interesting, especially on the big coins (IMO)... Sometimes, you can find progressive cracks on coins... i.e. when the crack started, then a coin or two as it progressed... Cheers, RickO

• Options

agreed, die cracks are interesting to find on coins big or small, yeah they add no value to the coin but still are neat to find

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

:)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file