Here is a fake 1906 philippines peso
https://www.ebay.com/itm/143864398870

I believe this to be a fake Poland coin too
https://www.ebay.com/itm/143855989031

Another scam seller!

Comments

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

please tell us why you think these coins are fake?
    you stated clearly "here is a fake" on the 1906 peso coin

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

What do you see and can you post a real one?
    The Poland one my best be posted in the world coin forum.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Panda4456Panda4456 Posts: 362 ✭✭✭

@YQQ said:
    please tell us why you think these coins are fake?
    you stated clearly "here is a fake" on the 1906 peso coin

Because it looks clearly like a fake. I guess you can tell if it’s a fake if the coin looks like a counterfeit. There are dozens of 1906 pesos that look identical popping up on eBay. I could post some photos comparing this mans 1906 to a real one but I don’t think it’s necessary. It’s also a 20,000 dollar coin in that condition if it were real. The guy has like 3 feedback and one of them says he received a reproduction. The guy is selling from out of the UK not in usa.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1906 Peso is a Proof-only issue, so I believe you are correct.

Can't tell anything about the seller's Polish coin except that the "slab" is hilarious.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2020 9:19AM

For those of you who can’t see the difference between the real and fake. The fake one is missing the mint mark and has different font. The eagle looks different too. There is a proof 1906 which has about 500 mintage but this is obviously a counterfeit

• Options

Good view of the fatty letters on the no mint mark one.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

Take a deep breath and let it out. Not everybody that asks questions is a hater. Most people are not as familiar with the Philippine coinage as you are. Speaking as a former Authenticator, I find that it helps if, when you condemn a piece, you give a few reasons why. If you had mentioned that this was a Proof-only issue in your OP, everybody could have seen that this was obviously not a Proof.

• Options

Looks like eBay is alright with allowing these fakes. Many of us have reported these items

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a hypothesis, which is that action is taken on fake eBay items only after a certain number of reports has been made. I say this because items that I have reported as an individual have never been taken down, but items that are reported collectively by the group are very often taken down.

• Options

@IkesT said:
    I have a hypothesis, which is that action is taken on fake eBay items only after a certain number of reports has been made. I say this because items that I have reported as an individual have never been taken down, but items that are reported collectively by the group are very often taken down.

@IkesT said:

I think so. That’s partly why I invited you all to join me.

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 27, 2020 5:01PM

@IkesT said:

I think that you are correct. Many fakes have been reported and ebay took them down from this forum alone. So the OP used the right approach by asking for us to report it. If you see a fake, start a thread like this one and when enough reports are sent, Ebay will take it down. One or two may not be enough.

Reported.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@IkesT said:

Look at it from eBay's perspective- Member A says item is legit, Member B says it's fake. eBay doesn't know and can't be sure. At this point, it's a toss-up, either could be right. But if 10 or 20 or 50 members report it as fake, it's a much safer bet it really is one. Taking time to investigate costs them money, taking items down after some number of complaints is cheap.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both are reported.
    The Polish coin because it shows a numerical grade from an unrecognized "service."

• Options

The polish coin sold for 60 our efforts failed 😞

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

From my observations, this forum has been highly successful in getting fake coins removed from ebay. Sometimes we are not fast enough, but usually they get pulled. That is why I ask that when one is found, we post a screenshot here, for educational purposes, before it gets pulled. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ebay seems to handle fakes different in different parts of the world. Europe seems especially difficult to get them removed. Just my WAG. Here in the US I find that if there is sufficient time remaining, like days, they take their time. Perhaps the fraud department acts quickest on those that are closest to ending first.

I had no idea it was a proof only issue. Yes, it's certainly not a proof coin and that was obvious.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

i know the auction on polish coin closed, but i reported them anyways, maybe we can still block the sale.

• Options

Keep the reports coming. eBay is still allowing them to go through

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file