Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Have You Gotten More Casual About Security?

VeepVeep Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭

As a kid, I had a locking strongbox that held my “valuables” such as BU rolls of Memorial Cents, ‘09-VDB Lincoln and anything silver. As soon as I was done with anything, it went back in the box and the box was stashed in my secret place.

Now, I might find a smattering of coins, worth quite a bit, languishing on my desk for days. Today there’s not much, just a $20 Liberty and a few better date Indian Cents that have been laying about for several days. It just struck me as to how lax I have become.

"Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"

Comments

• Options
    VeepVeep Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭

Expected that— but not with the first comment. Haha!

"Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess the question is one of proportions. When we are kids our treasures are all our net worth. As adults it’s a smaller portion so the urgency isn’t as keen. I’ll tend to leave some slabs on my desk for a week or so before heading to the SDB. Have some proof sets and such in my bookcase, too.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

When thinking of security, also think of what a fire can do to your collection.

For me and where I live, fire is a bigger concern than theft.

For security, I take Ricko's approach of layers upon layers of security.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    When thinking of security, also think of what a fire can do to your collection.

For me and where I live, fire is a bigger concern than theft.

For security, I take Ricko's approach of layers upon layers of security.

@Ricko likes guns for security. I'm not sure the fire will be afraid... ;)

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I also keep fire extinguishers throughout the house.....Actually, they make a good emergency weapon as well. ;) Cheers, RickO

My biggest fear was of a house fire while no one is home.

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say my security has become even stronger. With everyone staying home, I always assume I'm under observation. Stuff going in and out of the house is well disguised.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have layers of security and get insurance. Then, even if the worst happens, you will be made whole, financially, at least.

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

Make sure the insurance is paid for collectibles and not just money, otherwise you'll get $ for $. I had most of mine in safe, and thought it was secure, it wasn't.

Ken
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2020 4:29PM

I certainly try to never be lax about security.

I'm with Ricko (as usual) on security. Concentric layers of security. Be well armed and well trained. Be discreet about what you have and have your safe well hidden and anchored to the floor.

We have fire extinguishers in the garage, kitchen and all bedrooms. Be sure to have ones in the kitchen that are suitable for grease fires. Don't forget fire ladders in upper floor bedrooms and flashlights.

Dogs can offer a great deal of security as well.

I'm far more worried about a fire and the subsequent water damage than anything else.

I'm very much into guns - both shooting and collecting. My safe guy has been in business many years. He has so many horror stores and the photos to back them up about fire and water damage. Especially in homes with walk up basements the water damage from the fire dept response can be tremendous. The water can pool, feet deep in some instances, totally destroying the lower level, getting into safes, etc. Sometimes the water sits for days as you can't get into the house.

Coins themselves if in a fire resistant safe may (or may not depending on the temp and duration) survive. The holders can melt, currency can be destroyed, etc. The water damage though in his experience is the worst. I'd have searched for a walk out basement had I known at the time. This is why I look for my SDB to be the highest one possible in a bank - for fear of water damage if there is a fire there.

The lower level of my best friends house was destroyed buy a first floor ice maker the never shut off while they were away. Many of his possessions were destroyed.

We have water and heat sensors which communicate with our alarm company 24/7. We have water sensors everywhere - under all sinks, behind the toilets, near the dishwasher, furnace, hot water heater, etc. We turn the water off to the house and drain the pipes when away. We turn the hot water heater off as well. Cheap and easy insurance against flood damage.

In the end, best to have your valuables of any kind insured.

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would add.... we also had ACFI circuits installed in our home. They were not yet code when it was built. The offer substantial protection against electrical fires.

https://solvitnow.com/what-is-an-afci-how-they-prevent-electrical-fires/#:~:text=We rely on our homes,install AFCIs in your home!

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

@skier07 said:
    Please put your high value coins in a SDB regardless of where you live.

That is the best!🙂

Ken
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting stories - the possibility of a fire with fire dept flooding is the worse scenario! Makes the random thief seem like a minor nuisance .......

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a 2 hour fire safe and insurance.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I also keep fire extinguishers throughout the house.....Actually, they make a good emergency weapon as well. ;) Cheers, RickO

That is absolutely true. I work at a school and I tell that to teachers.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only keep a few valuable coins at home at any one time. Usually ones I just bought or are selling.

I also am well armed but don't want to divulge any details. Let's just say that the family can defend themselves and are pretty savvy. The dogs are more like alarms than a physical threat, but they do help eliminate the element of surprise. They will bark at pine cones falling on the roof at night. Other alarms are in place too.

Since the value is kept at the bank, I feel that I still ought to have something that looks valuable even though it isn't. Some shiny silver colored proofs in an album is one item. Some US proofs as well. Shiny means valuable to many crooks. If they somehow know you collect coins and claim you have none, that might just set them off. Better to give them some cheap baubles to make them think they scored.

Have I been more casual with security lately? I don't think so, there are still plenty of people around that want to take your stuff so I still pay attention. It may seem more casual to many as they are going out less, but in reality you are probably increasing security if you are home more.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m waiting on all the forum members to publicly reveal their laxity here........ ;)

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    OrlenaOrlena Posts: 300 ✭✭✭

I was semi lax until I was cleaned out in a burglary about 2 years ago. Now I have been rebuilding from scratch. Now the big stuff is at the bank, medium in a home safe, and easily replaceable scattered around the house. When I die it will be a scavenger hunt for the family......

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

wait until the family finds out what there getting :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file