Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are old intercept shield slab boxes ok to still use?

Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 7,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recently visited my safety deposit box in a bank where I store my slabbed coins, most are in those intercept shield boxes that have the individual single slab boxes that go into a box of 10. They have been there for over 12 years and some of the intercept shield boxes are even older than that. One of the intercept shield boxes is still white and the inner lining looks normal, but the others have turned yellowish and the inner liner is all wrinkled and seems to have sort of unattached itself from the box a bit. The inner smaller slab boxes are yellowish too. I went ahead and bought some new intercept shield boxes to replace the older ones, but I’m wondering if I can still use the old ones for anything. Like maybe for less valuable slabbed coins or ones made out of gold or platinum that are less reactive, maybe even just stuff raw coins in safeflips into them or something like that. Is there any danger in doing so? What are your thoughts? Thanks, in advance, for any replies.

Mr_Spud

Comments

  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Sounds like time to replace. I think they claim a 10 year life span if I remember correctly.

    When I replaced mine I used the old smaller boxes to ship with. I'd put the coin in the little box then tape it to the inside of a Priority Mail shipping box. It was secure and QUIET! It felt and sounded like the box was empty.

  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

    At the very least they are good for keeping your slabs from being scratched up.

    Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

  • Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Mr_Spud said:
    I recently visited my safety deposit box in a bank where I store my slabbed coins, most are in those intercept shield boxes that have the individual single slab boxes that go into a box of 10. They have been there for over 12 years and some of the intercept shield boxes are even older than that. One of the intercept shield boxes is still white and the inner lining looks normal, but the others have turned yellowish and the inner liner is all wrinkled and seems to have sort of unattached itself from the box a bit. The inner smaller slab boxes are yellowish too. I went ahead and bought some new intercept shield boxes to replace the older ones, but I’m wondering if I can still use the old ones for anything. Like maybe for less valuable slabbed coins or ones made out of gold or platinum that are less reactive, maybe even just stuff raw coins in safeflips into them or something like that. Is there any danger in doing so? What are your thoughts? Thanks, in advance, for any replies.

    I hope that you will not mind a follow-up question. :)

    Basis - I have used Intercept products for years. Started with Intercept Shield. When I could no longer locate these items for purchase, switched to Lighthouse.

    I have never experienced the issues that you report (i.e., box yellowing, liner wrinkling, and liner separation). (NOT questioning your account. Just saying that my experience has been different.)

    Question - Any thoughts about what caused these issues? For example, do you think it was moisture related?

  • This content has been removed.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jmlanzaf is correct... The boxes can still be used for storage, shipment etc., it just has lost the intercept property. Cheers, RickO

  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Is the metal anode visible for signs of degradation? Peace Roy

    BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken oih82w8, DCW

  • Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Namvet69 said:
    Is the metal anode visible for signs of degradation? Peace Roy

    The Intercept film is visible.

    Quote:
    "Can I tell when the effectiveness of the INTERCEPT® film has worn off?
    Yes. When the potential of the INTERCEPT® film has been exhausted, the film will turn a dark grey/green colour (not the coins!). When this discolouration occurs, you should replace the INTERCEPT® product with a new one.
    "

    Source: https://www.lighthouse.us/intercept/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file