Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Man I love Sportlots

So one of my new collections that I started is that I want to collect the last Topps card of every Hall of Famer. It will be a lot cheaper than some of my other collections and I figured I could go to a show and only spend a few dollars and come out with a stack of cards. The good news is that most of the cards will fall in the 1980's to today. They are not more than $.25 each. The problem is that dealers do not take these cards with them to shows because they are so cheap. The ones that do want inflated prices. I did see a 1989 Topps Mike Schmidt and a 1986 Topps Rod Carew at a show. I asked the guy how much and he said $5.00. I told him that I was thinking of closer to a dollar. I know that $4.00 will not kill me but I am not spending $5.00 on two cards that I probably had 10 of back in the day. I passed and went on sportlots. I picked those two up for $.18 each and about 25 other cards from 1990-2011 for about $12.00 shipped.

Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars

Comments

• frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sportlots is perfect for things like that. I have built many Cardinals team sets and filled many complete sets from there. If you were to ask where to find those HOF cards that would be the first place I would tell you to go.

Shane

• 72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

I agree. I also finished all of my Yankee team sets from them.

• rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love it too. I pick up a ton of cards I need and I sell on it as well. I wish the search function was a little better but besides that I really like it. Huge value add to the hobby.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • In4apennyIn4apenny Posts: 298 ✭✭✭

@72skywalker said:
    So one of my new collections that I started is that I want to collect the last Topps card of every Hall of Famer. It will be a lot cheaper than some of my other collections and I figured I could go to a show and only spend a few dollars and come out with a stack of cards. The good news is that most of the cards will fall in the 1980's to today. They are not more than $.25 each. The problem is that dealers do not take these cards with them to shows because they are so cheap. The ones that do want inflated prices. I did see a 1989 Topps Mike Schmidt and a 1986 Topps Rod Carew at a show. I asked the guy how much and he said $5.00. I told him that I was thinking of closer to a dollar. I know that $4.00 will not kill me but I am not spending $5.00 on two cards that I probably had 10 of back in the day. I passed and went on sportlots. I picked those two up for $.18 each and about 25 other cards from 1990-2011 for about $12.00 shipped.

Are they just fillers until you find something better to fill the missing slot? Just asking, never used Sportlot.

• GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

Sportlots is the best. So easy to do fun little subsets with the kids. My daughter did a 86 HoF set and several Red Sox team sets through them.

My favorite sports lot story - which I’ve posted before - is to buy in bulk cards of a friend who had a brief NHL stint. I send to him around the holidays so he has on hand to sign and give out to kids. I love reminding him I spend more to ship the cards to him than on the actual cards.

• lbcoach20lbcoach20 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭

I too use it to fill sets that would cost too much for using the Bay. It is inexpensive and you can find most of what you want.

• AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@72skywalker - thank you for the Sportlots reminder. I went on after reading your post and picked up four Lance Alworth cards I needed.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • 72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

@In4apenny said:

@72skywalker said:

Are they just fillers until you find something better to fill the missing slot? Just asking, never used Sportlot.

No, these are for the actual cards I wanted for the set. Every card I bought has been near mint/mint and even thought they are hall of famers they are very cheap to buy and could almost be considered commons.

• hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

I plan to use sportlots later this week to fill some empty base card spots in my Ricky Watters, Pedro Guerrero and Darryl Strawberry collections.

• lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭

i completed my finest 1993 finest baseball and basketball sets and my 94 sp die-cut set from sportslots. great cards and people to deal with. cards are as described. also finished my 92 bowman baseball set recently.

edited December 2, 2020 3:44PM

I have an Albert Pujols collection where I try to get a basic Topps card in a PSA 10 from every year. I remember attempting to get a PSA 10 for a 2007 Topps Pujols. The black border makes that card very tough to find in GEM MINT. I would say I bought 60 or 70 from sportlots for $0.18 a piece at different times before I found a couple of PSA 10 candidates. I don't blame sportlots at all. That is just a very difficult card to find in perfect condition. I eventually was able to pull it off. I still have the remnants in my Pujols box.

I remember when you could buy 2002 Topps Pujols cards for $0.18. I bought a bunch of them. PSA 10s can go for $200. I was successful with that card too.

I also remember when you could buy 2004 Topps Molina rookies for $0.18 all day long. Now they are $20 raw. Wish I would have bought a bunch of them.

I'm sure there are other examples.

Shane

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

@frankhardy said:
    ......I remember attempting to get a PSA 10 for a 2007 Topps Pujols. The black border makes that card very tough to find in GEM MINT. I would say I bought 60 or 70 from sportlots for $0.18 a piece at different times before I found a couple of PSA 10 candidates. I don't blame sportlots at all..........

The highest grade sportlots offers is NM. You could get a card better than NM when buying NM, but that is not guaranteed.

• rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 3, 2020 6:43AM

@nam812 said:

@frankhardy said:
    ......I remember attempting to get a PSA 10 for a 2007 Topps Pujols. The black border makes that card very tough to find in GEM MINT. I would say I bought 60 or 70 from sportlots for $0.18 a piece at different times before I found a couple of PSA 10 candidates. I don't blame sportlots at all..........

The highest grade sportlots offers is NM. You could get a card better than NM when buying NM, but that is not guaranteed.

This. I have had a few buyers get stuff in and complain about a slight imperfection. I issue them credit then they get blocked and I move on. I ship on average about 10-15 packages a day on Sportlots. Most of the business is repeat and the system works well for me and 95% of the buyers are great

Looking for FB HOF Rookies

@nam812 said:

@frankhardy said:

Nor do I blame sellers. I think I was slightly misunderstood. I understand that you can't get gem mint cards every time. I was actually bragging on the fact that I got that many 2007 Topps Albert Pujols cards for $0.18 each. I love it. I knew I would have to buy a bunch of them to have a chance at a PSA 10. Hopefully that clears up what I said.

Shane

• Just used sportslots for the first time after reading this thread ! Thank you !!