Home Q & A Forum
Options

Has anyone ever seen a coin like this...with this date? An error?....

Answers

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks too well struck to be on an undersized cent planchet.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    Misse007Misse007 Posts: 9
    edited November 24, 2020 5:03PM

I'm new at this so any ideas of what happened is greatly appreciated. The pic makes it look a bit more worn than it is to my eye. It's pretty shiny. I wondered if it was tarnished but it's very shiny and smooth so I don't know.

• Options
    Misse007Misse007 Posts: 9
    edited November 24, 2020 5:06PM

Here it is in more natural light.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you know the weight of the coin?

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

It appears to be plated or suffered environmental damage. Many times, metal detector finds or other ground finds will have a copper appearance.

Other than the color, the coin appears to be a normal nickel. It has the expected size and details of a coin struck on a standard nickel planchet. I don't see anything that would indicate it could be an error in the minting process.

A nickel weighs 5.00 +/- 0.194 grams. If you weigh it on a calibrated scale with a 2 digit resolution, I would expect your coin to be within that range.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2020 6:19PM

I suppose it's possible it's toning. My state quarter collection all toned deep gold. Maybe it was exposed to heat. I see little spots of nickel color around the rim.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

It could have been plated or heated.
    Here is an example of a nickel & penny that was heated. There is no plating on either coin.

• Options

@Kliao said:
    Do you know the weight of the coin?

Yes. My brother weighed it and it's the normal nickel weight.

• Options

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    Here is an example of a nickel & penny that was heated. There is no plating on either coin.

@ms70 said:
    I suppose it's possible it's toning. My state quarter collection all toned deep gold. Maybe it was exposed to heat. I see little spots of nickel color around the rim.

The nickel color came through with the photo but it's really hard to see with the naked eye. You're probably right. Thank you so much for the info. I really appreciate it. 😊

• Options

@ifthevamzarockin said:

That penny is a cool color! Thank you for the reply. I really appreciate it.😊

• Options

@Oldhoopster said:
    It appears to be plated or suffered environmental damage. Many times, metal detector finds or other ground finds will have a copper appearance.

Other than the color, the coin appears to be a normal nickel. It has the expected size and details of a coin struck on a standard nickel planchet. I don't see anything that would indicate it could be an error in the minting process.

A nickel weighs 5.00 +/- 0.194 grams. If you weigh it on a calibrated scale with a 2 digit resolution, I would expect your coin to be within that range.

It does weigh the normal nickel weight. Thank you for the information. You guys know alot more than me when it comes to coins. Much appreciated. Thank you🙏🏻

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Forgot to mention.

Welcome to the forum! :)

• Options

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    Forgot to mention.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Thank you! Nice to be here with so may knowledgeable people😊

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 25, 2020 9:12AM

There are legitimate errors/oddities out there so keep looking!

Here is one I found. It was dirty and greasy when I found it and I almost threw it back into the deposit pile. It is a 2016 nickel struck over a 2015 nickel.

• Options

@JBK said:
    There are legitimate errors/oddities out there so keep looking!

Here is one I found. It was dirty and greasy when I found it and I almost threw it back into the deposit pile. It us a 2016 nickel struck over a 2015 nickel.

Wow! That's pretty cool!