Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1882 Engraved $1 Morgan

KnellKnell Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought this Engraved Morgan with the word "mother" (reverse). I've seen a few different denomination coins with the word mother engraved. Does anybody know why or what's the reason for this? Just curious. Obverse looks like the hardware to pin it to clothing has been removed.
Thanks for any info.

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2020 6:19AM

Someone gave their mother a pin with the word "mother" on it. Not much more to it. Same as guys who got a similar tattoo to honor their mother.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been trying to find where I stashed it. :s A while back I gave my Mom an 1853 Seated Quarter done not near as eloquently as your dollar. I put it in a silver Bezel and bought a sterling chain for it.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a very well done engraving. Obviously a tribute to a departed loved one (little bird flying with message). Cheers, RickO

• Options

I missed the bird the first time around. It has a letter in its beak.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps a memorial piece. There is really no way to tell.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

Could be a memorial piece, but I associate "mother" tattoos, etc. with sons, and a son would presumably not wear a brooch, at least not back then.

Who knows, but the bird with letter makes it very interesting. Maybe even a mother's tribute to a child they lost.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file