Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Not good enough to submit

rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 23, 2020 4:29PM in U.S. Coin Forum

A few years ago, I bought a rare date, 19th century coin that graded F15 or so for details. It was purchased from a website, raw.
While it had completely original surfaces, someone tooled [the rock below] Ms. Liberty's foot, intentionally scratching five tiny, parallel digs into the [rock edge]. (Sorry- small edit for accuracy.) They were tiny, but deep, and rotating it under a light showed some flash from the shiny, exposed metal. I should have returned the coin right then and there, but as usual, I was so busy with work that I decided to eat my mistake. Needless to say, I never sent it to PCGS.

I sold the coin with full disclosure two years later at a $200 loss through a dealer friend. A few weeks later, it appeared for sale in a PCGS F15 holder - with a CAC green bean. Since then, it's appeared for sale two more times, went into one of those "PCGS/CAC coins only" Registry sets, and appeared in an auction, where the photos just barely showed those five little cuts - and it didn't sell. Current asking price is roughly double what I sold it for.

What am I implying with this post? Nothing, really. I just wanted to share my experience because it's still bothering me. It didn't get into a PCGS holder or get a green bean because of politics. The submitter doesn't have any special powers that warrant gift grades or free beans. I'm sure the PCGS graders saw it - they just didn't think it warranted a Details grade. I'm sure CAC saw it too - they thought it wasn't enough to withhold the sticker. I guess it's on me for not submitting it, right?

Anyway, feel free to top this one with a story that makes me feel better.

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would love to see a photo of it!

peacockcoins

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd love to show it, but posting a picture of a problem coin in a PCGS/CAC holder would open a can of worms that nobody would be able to close.

Anyway, the point is that a defect that was a big deal to me was not a big deal to PCGS and CAC. I need to submit more, I guess.

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

They probably just missed it. Any sort of intentional tooling is a no-go for CAC I’d bet.

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah they miss stuff. And it makes me angry as well but what can you do?

I bought an MS65 1904 Morgan with a dig where the wing meets the breast. Very unusual area to notice something like that. I missed it and so did PCGS obviously.

So I'm stuck with it...

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was following an MS 65+ CAC toned Morgan several years ago but thought the price was a little too high. It sold and I forgot about it. Later I saw it in a 67+ CAC holder and then again in a 68 holder (no CAC). Looks like the price wasn't that high when it was a 65+. :(:D

• Options
    gradeacoinsgradeacoins Posts: 18
    edited November 23, 2020 6:23PM

@U1chicago said:
    I was following an MS 65+ CAC toned Morgan several years ago but thought the price was a little too high. It sold and I forgot about it. Later I saw it in a 67+ CAC holder and then again in a 68 holder (no CAC). Looks like the price wasn't that high when it was a 65+. :(:D

That is a heck of a jump!!

I've had a few of those missed opportunities myself. Definitely just a part of coins :D Thought for sure a few nicely toned coins I had recently were AU instead of mint state so sold them as such. They ended up in 66 holders. In retrospect I should have just submitted them myself, don't really know why I didn't as the wear wasn't too significant.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gradeacoins said:

@U1chicago said:

That is a heck of a jump!!

I've had a few of those missed opportunities myself. Definitely just a part of coins :D Thought for sure a few nicely toned coins I had recently were AU instead of mint state so sold them as such. They ended up in 66 holders. In retrospect I should have just submitted them myself, don't really know why I didn't as the wear wasn't too significant.

If it has a chance, you might as well give it a try.
    I have submitted some of my own that looked like they had a chance but most came back the same grade. I had one that was a win (65 to 66 Morgan).

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well I'm sorry that I do not have a story to cheer you up with; on the other hand you can take solace that your story makes my bad story seem good. ;)

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rhedden.... That is quite the story... would love to see pictures of the coin and area in question. Could you please PM some pictures to me?? Thanks, Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Typical, have had it happen to me on several occasions. Wont grade for me, but for a major player, it manages to get done.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file