Home U.S. Coin Forum

Black Beauty Nickels of 1958 and 1959

rec78rec78 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 23, 2020 5:24AM in U.S. Coin Forum

As far as I know the reference of the "Black Beauty" Jefferson nickels only refers to nickels that were only minted in 1958 and 1959 at the Philadelphia mint. These coins IMO should only be bought in unc. condition. There is more than one person putting up all kinds of coins that were in the ground for awhile and turned black from corrosion and calling them "black beauty".
There are many other dates and denominations that have "Improperly annealed planchets" but they are not designated as "black beauties". Black Beauty is reserved for the 1958 and 1959 Jeffersons, I believe, Let me know if I am wrong. Does PCGS use the "Black Beauty" designation? Bob

Tagged:

Comments

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember those. Calling them "black beauty" is completely hype. They should be called "black ugly." :#

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do remember those....Did not collect any, but there was a bit of hype at one point. I believe the term 'annealed' was totally debunked... but do not recall a substantive explanation for the dark coins. Cheers, RickO

• ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2020 7:05AM

My wife and daughter just found this 1958 5c in a parking lot Friday afternoon and grabbed it for me. Not a black beauty, but has some nice toning to it I thought. Reminded me of a @JoeyCoins find.

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Haven’t heard of this phenomenon occurring in only 58 and 59. Below is an example from 55 that I have had for 40+ years. It’s an ms62/63 example.

• OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2020 9:35AM

That's a good question that I don't even know, however I've always felt that some 55's should be included along with the 58's and 59's that are Improperly annealed.

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ThreeCentSilverFL

P mint?
    I started a set in a Whitman Bookshelf Album around 1995, 5c coins received in change only during day-to-day transactions. To date I have not received a 58P, 3 Silver issues so far...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bolivarshagnasty said:
    Haven’t heard of this phenomenon occurring in only 58 and 59. Below is an example from 55 that I have had for 40+ years. It’s an ms62/63 example.

I like

• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some silver dollars used to be "Black Bettys".
    Remember?

peacockcoins

• BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭

I just sold this on ebay.

• BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭

This one never got me excited!

• ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2020 6:41PM

This reminds me of the nickels in the cardboard mint sets of the late 40s and 50s almost every one is yuck. To this date I've maybe seen a handful that were nice.

• rec78rec78 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bolivarshagnasty said:

>
    I did not say it only occurred in 1958 and 1959. I have seen 1955's and other dates also. The term "black beauty" for the most part is reference to the 1958 and 1959 issues is what I meant.
    I do like your 1955. I remember a few years ago a tv coin seller was selling these as "Burnt Nickels" for some rediculous price.

• leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a couple of black 1959's but they're not proof-like. Here are some "black beauties" and they have proof-like fields to some degree. The 1961 has real dark charcoal proof-like fields....had to use extra light to photograph. Maybe it's my rule but a black beauty Jefferson nickel should have proof-like fields.......makes sense to me!

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2020 9:27PM

@ThreeCentSilverFL said:
    My wife and daughter just found this 1958 5c in a parking lot Friday afternoon and grabbed it for me. Not a black beauty, but has some nice toning to it I thought. Reminded me of a @JoeyCoins find...

Lol. Hey, be careful how you're handling that beauty! Lol :D
    If that's the 58d, check for the inverted d variety.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
    edited November 25, 2020 7:51PM

Just got these 3 today. At 3:00, 6:00 and 9:00
    I'll take better photos later.

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
    edited November 26, 2020 10:32AM

Here are my better pics.
    Black beauty #1. Two photos

Black beauty #2. Two photos

Black beauty #3. 1959 Two photos PL?

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

• emzeeemzee Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭

There is a discussion of this topic in Bernard Nagengast 1980's pioneer Jefferson Nickel book. Nagengast searched countless (original) rolls before writing the book. I recall BB's are particularly common for 1958 - 1959 but also exist exist for all dates back to about 1953. Anyone have Nagengast book?

• rec78rec78 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have the Nagengast book. He states that he has not seen any after 1959.

@ECHOES said:
    @ThreeCentSilverFL

P mint?
    I started a set in a Whitman Bookshelf Album around 1995, 5c coins received in change only during day-to-day transactions. To date I have not received a 58P, 3 Silver issues so far...

I'd be happy to send it your way! Needs a good home :D

@ThreeCentSilverFL said:

@ECHOES said:
    @ThreeCentSilverFL

P mint?

I'd be happy to send it your way! Needs a good home :D

I would love to have for my album!

@ThreeCentSilverFL

P mint?

Thanks, very nice of you to send the 58P...

• jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of the coins posted here are not black beauties.

@ECHOES said:

@ThreeCentSilverFL

P mint?

Thanks, very nice of you to send the 58P...

That is actually a very good match to your set! Glad I could fill that spot for you! And a parking lot find at that. Merry Christmas! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file