Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why such a low mintage? End of WW II 75th Anniv. American Eagle Gold Proof Coin (20XE)

Hello gang. I am a relatively “new “ collector and have never followed any US mint pre-releases before this one. I managed to (luckily) get a silver eagle but had no such luck on the gold. Has there ever been such a low mintage number as 1945? In that so many today, have ties to WWII (The Big One) what do you feel would have been an “acceptable” mintage number to take care of all of the hard core coin collectors as well as those who may enjoy the coin for personal reasons? It seems that more flippers than collectors have purchased these. I would imagine that a larger mintage number would still sell out without causing the animosity and angst towards the mint and negate any flipping.
Thanks,
Ron

Comments

• Options
    Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

This has been discussed literally to death in the thread also currently on the front page. The 1,945 mintage was obviously symbolic, but whether that was a right thing to do is pretty controversial.

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few of the first spouse gold coins have mintages under 1900. so far the Barbara Bush gold coin isn’t exactly selling well and it’s product limit is set at 2000

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kiyote said:
    A few of the first spouse gold coins have mintages under 1900. so far the Barbara Bush gold coin isn’t exactly selling well and it’s product limit is set at 2000

This.

1945 really isn't so ridiculously low for gold commems. For an AGE, it's low but it remains to be seen whether the hype sustains the price over the long term. For further information, debate (and possibly aggravation), hop over to the other thread.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The hype, much more than the quantity, is what drove the sales on these coins. No doubt the theme has far greater appeal than - lets say a first spouse coin in low mintage - but the quantity was -IMO- secondary. That, and the dual release crashed the site. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    The hype, much more than the quantity, is what drove the sales on these coins. No doubt the theme has far greater appeal than - lets say a first spouse coin in low mintage - but the quantity was -IMO- secondary. That, and the dual release crashed the site. Cheers, RickO

But wasn’t the hype created by the quantity? If this had a mintage limit of 15,000, or unlimited, I’m sure they would have sold a lot but the discussion and lead up to it would have been pretty quiet.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mint cycle for all hot products:
    1. Hype
    2. Website crashes at moment said product goes on sale
    3. Collectors emerge disgruntled / defeated
    4. Flipper frenzy/ tulip mania begins driving price to multiples of issue
    5. Slow/ rapid decline of premium until forgotten when "the next big thing" from the Mint is announced
    6. Repeat

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dollar2007.... As I said.... "The hype, much more than the quantity..." I included quantity....But two special releases, simultaneously, in limited quantities - preceded by hype about the Major War, of which there are still family who served, and many who were children during and right after the event. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file