Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Strange nickel found in circulation

The other day, I found the nickel on the right side of the photo. It has very weak features both on the obverse and reverse and it appears to be uncirculated. I just wanted peoples opinions on why the coin looks the way it does. Could it be grease or a worn die that caused this?

Comments

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2020 1:57PM

What does it weigh? If they weigh the same, it might just be the toning that gives it the weak strike appearance. If you look close, I think you still see the areas one might expect to be lost first due to a weak strike or wear.
    Jim
    Edited to add: Should weigh 5 grams if uncirculated.

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

I don't have a scale or anything like that, but I can affirm you that it's not toning that gives the coin a weird appearance. You can clearly tell that compared to the normal looking nickel, there is something off about the one on the right.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very strange.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's another strange one, known as the "zombie" nickel. It's the result of an over polished die. I would be a buyer at $20 for this one if anyone has or can find one.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

the picture is small...

maybe shoot just the one on the right. then shoot just the reverse of it. post both separately.

my first impression?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

Modern coins are struck with long-lasting dies with shallow design elements. My guess is that this is nickel struck with extremely worn dies.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,848 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a pile of grease. Possible worn dies, but my first guess is grease.

Probably not worth much if any premium. But I'd keep it if I found it.

• Options

• Options

I do plan to keep it. You don't find weird coins like these everyday.

• Options

Coins of recent years tend to be very well struck. Have any of you found modern coins with a strike like my nickel? It was pretty common for coins many decades ago to be weakly struck, but it's weird for a modern coin right?

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can start yourself a “cigar box” :)

• Options

How many dies were used in Philadelphia in 2018? Philadelphia struck 1.26 Billion Nickels in 2018. I wonder how many dies were used?
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

what's a cigar box?

• Options

Most all collectors have a cigar box full of 1st time coins, odd coins, educational coins, counterfeit and other such oddities they find throughout their collecting careers. A suggestion if you plan on searching for odd or valuable coins is to have a scale. They are many, many on ebay for $7 to $10 including freight. Handy to have. Best of luck and thanks for the interesting post.
    Jim

• Options

Well when you put it that way, I do have an ipod box that I put interesting finds inside of. Hope to find more weird coins in circulation soon.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

wild guess is worn dies. some grease may be involved with the mouth. not sure on either.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2020 3:53PM

I think you have a weird coin Joe. I agree that it's not toning that gives your coin a weird appearance. And you certainly don't find weird coins like these everyday. And it definitely is weird to find a modern coin with a strike like your nickel. I hope you find more weird coins in circulation soon. Like you say, it's just weird. It's a weird coin. Really weird.

• Options
    MrbarlintMrbarlint Posts: 37 ✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    the picture is small...

maybe shoot just the one on the right. then shoot just the reverse of it. post both separately.

my first impression?

Ha!! Amazing! Exactly my first thought!!! Beat me to it!!!
    Cornelius!!!

• Options
    edited November 22, 2020 4:00PM

@joej132 said:
    Well when you put it that way, I do have an ipod box that I put interesting finds inside of. Hope to find more weird coins in circulation soon.

What's an ipod box? Is it something weird?

• Options
    edited November 22, 2020 4:43PM

• Options

ipod is the thing that was used widely before iphone became a thing. Are you 12 or something? That's got to be the only reason why you don't know what that is.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks to have been struck with very worn dies.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joej132 said:
    ipod is the thing that was used widely before iphone became a thing. Are you 12 or something? That's got to be the only reason why you don't know what that is.

He's kidding. And the joke would be that he's 80 not 18. LOL.

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

C’mon.....be nice. Don’t knock the guy for looking at coins.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The nickel looks like it has been struck with worn dies.... grease could be a part of it, but more likely die wear. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a cool find. I vote die wear.

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2020 1:15PM

@joej132 said:

ipod 'Nano II' Circa 2008, listening right now...

FWIW, Fun read...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options

Now that’s old.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file