Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Shows and Covid Waivers

BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are these commonplace for show attendance? In my area a local tour bus company requires one for bus trips. It absolves then of any legal action if you become sick from riding the bus. Are airlines doing this as well?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Comments

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

I signed one at the South Carolina NA show. It was in a single three ring binder and was the bottleneck to the whole registration process. Perhaps by the second day there were two binders.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess that would be the business version of the children's plea - "Not me!" :D;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,418 ✭✭✭✭✭

@shorecoll said:
    You may not be able to prove it, but you can still sue.

Of course, you can sue anyone for any reason. Good luck winning though.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    How is it possible to prove where you caught the covid19 virus? It takes several days for symptoms to show up. How do you know that you didn't catch it at the gas station, grocery store, Walmart, fast food place, etc?

Chances are that your local TV stations are filled with advertising from personal injury lawyers. In my market they are "family", "trusted", unstoppable" and , of course, they "win". Covid19 cases may well provide a whole new revenue stream. Most such cases will be settled with payouts without going to trial.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2020 6:15AM

There are no waivers for my local show. There is a mask mandate in place but there are always a couple of dealers and a few people who don’t wear masks or shields. I’ve mostly seen waivers at the various haircut places.

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

I signed one at the South Carolina NA show.

Yes, everyone attending the SCNA show had to sign. Now, it turns out after being at the show all three days, I started having Virus symptoms the following Tuesday and, sure enough, I tested positive. Now, did I get it at the show or because of the stop I made at Sam's Club on the way home? Who knows? I'm certainly not going to sue anybody.
    As far as I'm concerned, stuff happens. Fortunately, I had a mild case and I'm fine now. Anyway, because of contracting the Virus once, I'm not taking any chances - I cancelled my flight and hotel reservations for the FUN show.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    How is it possible to prove where you caught the covid19 virus? It takes several days for symptoms to show up. How do you know that you didn't catch it at the gas station, grocery store, Walmart, fast food place, etc?

you don't always know. But a lot of locales do contact tracing. If you found 30 cases that all intersected at the coin show, then you could reasonably conclude that it was a cluster and the coin show was a "super spreader event".

• Options
    Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went to go to a coin show. Nothing in the listing about it being canceled. Got there and the whole place was deserted, no coin show. I was kinda ticked off that they didn’t mark on coinzip that it was canceled.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2ndCharter said:

Yes, everyone attending the SCNA show had to sign. Now, it turns out after being at the show all three days, I started having Virus symptoms the following Tuesday and, sure enough, I tested positive. Now, did I get it at the show or because of the stop I made at Sam's Club on the way home? Who knows? I'm certainly not going to sue anybody.
    As far as I'm concerned, stuff happens. Fortunately, I had a mild case and I'm fine now. Anyway, because of contracting the Virus once, I'm not taking any chances - I cancelled my flight and hotel reservations for the FUN show.

Dude, your good for a few months. Better than the vaccine. You can frolic in the streets yelling neener-neener and not catch it again for a while. I think cancelling trips would be the last thing I would do AFTER catching it.

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dude, your good for a few months. Better than the vaccine. You can frolic in the streets yelling neener-neener and not catch it again for a while. I think cancelling trips would be the last thing I would do AFTER catching it.

Tell you what - you go first and let me know.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

To me, not worth the risk.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mdcoincollector2003 said:
    I went to go to a coin show. Nothing in the listing about it being canceled. Got there and the whole place was deserted, no coin show. I was kinda ticked off that they didn’t mark on coinzip that it was canceled.

And yet, every listing on CoinZIp says: Please verify the show times and dates before attending the "xyz", as they are subject to change.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just got a letter from FUN. Major waiver has to be signed and you can not back out of the show after Dec. 1st.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    I just got a letter from FUN. Major waiver has to be signed and you can not back out of the show after Dec. 1st.

Interesting. As has been widely reported by the news outlets, the virus may be picking up full steam starting after the holidays.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 said:

@Mdcoincollector2003 said:

And yet, every listing on CoinZIp says: Please verify the show times and dates before attending the "xyz", as they are subject to change.

Yes, I’m aware of that. I sent an email about a week ago; no response. Oh well wasn’t too far away.

• Options
    stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 456 ✭✭✭

On a scale of 1-10 my concern about catching Covid is 0. Thats just me though. With my overall health there is almost a zero chance i would have any significant effects

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2ndCharter glad that you recovered well!

I’m also wondering about your thinking now — cancelling your FUN plans — despite your experience of having just mild symptoms and recovering. Are you in a high risk group and feel like you just got lucky? Otherwise it does seem like you’d feel more liberated to a degree now? ... Of course it’s possible to catch it again, but still ..... anyways, just curious.

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cleveland announced they will have 12,000 fans at their game...Covid must be over.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

@shorecoll said:
    Cleveland announced they will have 12,000 fans at their game...Covid must be over.

Where are they going to import that many fans from?

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2020 10:25AM

@stockdude_ said:
    On a scale of 1-10 my concern about catching Covid is 0. Thats just me though. With my overall health there is almost a zero chance i would have any significant effects

Sure, the probability of a mild outcome may be in your favor, but It’s not a certainty. Like RYK, I have worked with and seen this virus first hand. One of the really sobering observations of those of us working with it is that it CAN strike indiscriminately with devastating effects to ANYONE- including young, otherwise healthy patients. I coined the term, COVID roulette for both this characteristic, and for our not knowing ‘which’ patients might be infected carriers, since the false negative rates on tests were so high, and the disease was showing up with such a wide range of clinical presentations/symptoms.

Sorry if I burst your bubble stockdude, but it’s for your own good, and the good of other people with similar attitudes, that unwittingly spread this virus through our communities..

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 456 ✭✭✭

@nwcoast said:

@stockdude_ said:

Sure, the probability of a mild outcome may be in your favor, but It’s not a certainty. Like RYK, I have worked with and seen this virus first hand. One of the really sobering observations of those of us working with it is that it CAN strike indiscriminately with devastating effects to ANYONE- including young, otherwise healthy patients. I coined the term, COVID roulette for both this characteristic, and for our not knowing ‘which’ patients might be infected carriers, since the false negative rates on tests were so high, and the disease was showing up with such a wide range of clinical presentations/symptoms.

Sorry if I burst your bubble stockdude, but it’s for your own good, and the good of other people with similar attitudes, that unwittingly spread this virus through our communities..

Id rather not get into a contentious discussion with you. Lets agree to disagree. id rather discuss coins anyway. My bubble is not bursted ;)

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2ndCharter said:

I got hit while biking when I was in college. I was lucky that it was some scrapes and bruises and not as bad as it could have been. The driver's insurance company covered my medical bills, bike, and a small amount for my trouble. I could have sued for a lot more and I'm sure they would have settled. Heaven knows all the attorneys who came calling hoped I would. I'm against the overly litigious aspect of society, and I wasn't going to try to make money I didn't deserve. Just because I didn't sue doesn't mean others wouldn't. Same with you. And that's why there's a waiver.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2020 6:58PM

I wasn't raised and didn't come from a sue happy family either. What would you folks do in this situation:

I was a young teenager at the time. We were on a family vacation in Florida. Went to a nice restaurant. While sitting waiting on our food, the waiter serving the table behind us literally poured a scalding hot pot of coffee down my mother's back. She had 2nd degree burns all over her back and ruined our vacation. All my parents did was make them pay to clean her dress as they knew it was an accident.

@airplanenut said:

@2ndCharter said:

I got hit while biking when I was in college. I was lucky that it was some scrapes and bruises and not as bad as it could have been. The driver's insurance company covered my medical bills, bike, and a small amount for my trouble. I could have sued for a lot more and I'm sure they would have settled. Heaven knows all the attorneys who came calling hoped I would. I'm against the overly litigious aspect of society, and I wasn't going to try to make money I didn't deserve. Just because I didn't sue doesn't mean others wouldn't. Same with you. And that's why there's a waiver.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    I wasn't raised and didn't come from a sue happy family either. What would you folks do in this situation:

I was a young teenager at the time. We were on a family vacation in Florida. Went to a nice restaurant. While sitting waiting on our food, the waiter serving the table behind us literally poured a scalding hot pot of coffee down my mother's back. She had 2nd degree burns all over her back and ruined our vacation. All my parents did was make them pay to clean her dress as they knew it was an accident.

@airplanenut said:

@2ndCharter said:

Were there any medical bills?
    I had a coworker spill a hot cup of coffee on my back ,while we were in the break room, several decades ago. I was ok so no big deal.

• Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@amwldcoin said:

Interesting. As has been widely reported by the news outlets, the virus may be picking up full steam starting after the holidays.

You think?

• Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

@stockdude_ said:

Give us a health update about March 2021.

• Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just attended the Las Vegas coin show this past weekend. Everyone entering had to sign a COVID waiver. The promoters did their best to provide social distancing of tables (reduced amount of tables) and required masks or face shields. For the most part people were complying with mandates. I suppose it’s too soon to tell whether or not I contracted any virus but if I did I wouldn’t sue the show.
    I know some of you MDs have a better understanding of this than I do and maybe a more realistic fear of it. But I have been working through the whole pandemic around people that I work with and customers. Ive had several people that I’ve been in contact with contract the virus and I’ve tested and quarantined. I’ve been in and out of dozens of cars daily. I have to go to stores and buy groceries and do all sorts of errands that are required of life. I believe that there is always a risk, but I am trying to manage life with the virus.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file