Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Buffalo coming my way.....Guess the grade with a twist

VetterVetter Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking forward to seeing this in hand. Guess the grade and for fun guess the date. The date should be easy for the true Buffalo collector.

Members I have done business with:
Silverman68, jfoot13, GAB, ricman, Smittys, scrapman1077, RyGuy, Connecticoin, Meltdown, VikingDude, Peaceman, Patches and more.

Comments

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like an 18/17-D to me.

• Options

And using current grading standards I'd say VF20.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll guess VF 25, and as for the date it looks like a typical “D” mint coin from the 1920’s with that reverse strike. But I’ve never handled or studied the over date, so I’ll let the experts tell us how they can id it as such.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2020 10:16PM

That incomplete horn is a result of a lousy strike as Walkerguy21D says. I once had an AU overdate that was missing the last 1/4 of the horn. When I had it over 40 years ago strike wasn't taken into account as it would be today. This is, of course, a problem with all the branch Mint dates of this era. Often as not, tho, it's the result of using worn dies. It can also be a combination of a weak strike AND a worn die.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a VF reverse.... No idea of the date....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going to go 18/17 D and VF20 (I'm a purist on the horn, I really want to call that a Fine. LOL)

• Options

Yup, 1918/7 D. PCGS F12

Silverman68, jfoot13, GAB, ricman, Smittys, scrapman1077, RyGuy, Connecticoin, Meltdown, VikingDude, Peaceman, Patches and more.
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW. Old school grading n that one.

Not even a F-15.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

Ok, let’s see the obverse now, and what are the markers or attributes on the reverse that id this as the over date?
    Inquiring minds want to know!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

Since there was only one pair of dies that made the overdate. The D mint Mark is the giveaway. It’s slightly tilted to the left and close to the E in five. Here is the obv picture. I feel the overall appearance of the coin is a strong F15 if not a lower VF. The only weak part is RTY of Liberty touching the rim, but I’ve seen much higher grade examples with that and the later die stages all of Liberty is touching the rim.

• Options

Thanks, and I completely agree with your grade assessment, lock 15 shot 20.

• Options

@BuffaloIronTail said:
    WOW. Old school grading n that one.

Not even a F-15.

Pete

Like Pete says.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file