Home U.S. Coin Forum

2018 error coin?

So I found this 2018 penny

in a box from the bank a few months back - I was wondering if anybody could specify what type of error this is - it looks like a slightly off center double strike as well as perhaps strike through (or damage?) on both the obverse and reverse of this coin.

Comments

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like damage caused by a vice squeezing a coin on top.

• ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

PMD Post Mint Damage

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2020 1:38PM

just damaged.

I have one I put a nail through.

hmmmm. maybe I should try a screw, too.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • @TurtleCat said:

So am I reading right - the damage around Lincoln’s collar and the claw marks on the reverse were caused by a vice? What about the obstructed date and the raised off center metal arc on the right side of the obverse? Or are you saying all was caused by a vice?

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Drummer9400 said:

@TurtleCat said:

So am I reading right - the damage around Lincoln’s collar and the claw marks on the reverse were caused by a vice? What about the obstructed date and the raised off center metal arc on the right side of the obverse? Or are you saying all was caused by a vice?

I think it was all cause by a vice. I always reserve the right to be wrong but that’s how I’m seeing it. It’s the simplest answer.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the work of a vice.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spend it

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am seeing part of the reverse design pressed into the obverse.

Squeeze/vice job.

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everything you see on that coin doesn’t look normal is from damage

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Totally Post Mint Damage..... No numismatic premium for damage. Cheers, RickO

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Drummer9400 said:

@TurtleCat said:

Absolutely caused by a vise. There was probably something round that was sandwiched between the obverse that flattened the features.

Regardless of the exact cause of damage, its pretty easy to see that it your coin couldn't have left the mint like that. If you continue to search for errors, you should also try to learn as much as you can about the minting process. It takes time, but many of the responses on this thread are from people who are very knowledgeable in this topic. You should never think "I can't explain how this damage could occur, therefore it must be an error". You should always try to provide an explanation of how it could have occurred at the mint.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2020 10:47AM

Somebody explain the placement of the 8. In the top picture it looks way off. In the bottom picture not so much. Are my eyes playing tricks on me? Whatever......these damaged penny posts are.....oh well...forget it.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    Somebody explain the placement of the 8. In the top picture it looks way off. In the bottom picture not so much. Are my eyes playing tricks on me? Whatever......these damaged penny posts are.....oh well...forget it.

I believe that's called a Magic 8 error

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Hydrant said:

I believe that's called a Magic 8 error

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • rec78rec78 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

Homemade error. I made one when I was a kid. I put two Lincoln cents in a vice and just clamped it together - instant homemade error. Two of them in fact.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file