Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Finally found some good tethering software.(new images)

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 19, 2020 3:19PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I first tried to tether my camera to my PC about 10-15 years ago. Forum Member JapanJohn had been doing it and and it seemed like a good solution for me. The trouble was finding compatible software which at the time I was unable to do. About 3-4 years ago I downloaded some to try again, worked at it briefly and gave up. A thread from someone in the past week got me thinking, so I downloaded digiCamControl and dusted off my Nikon D3100.

The images below are just a few quick ones I took and they offer hope. With no setting changes and no special set-up I took images of a B/W Proof coin and a toned Mint State coin, both encapsulated. The color on the Buffalo is bit more intense in the image but at least I should now have the ability to get some reasonably good images once I "learn" the camera and the software. After that I can create a static set-up and figure out the lights, the final step will be to swallow hard and by a good quality macro lens. It's a relief because I had become so frustrated trying to get anything that didn't look either over-exposed or cartoonish.

This is just a beginning, so don't be too harsh.

Al H.

So I tried a few changes and different lighting and got pretty close to what the coin actually looks like, still needs work.

Comments

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

that's great. :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

ya. first things first. get comfortable with the software THEN will come the image quality.

gratz on a LONG-BELATED step 1 ! :smiley:

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

first things first. get comfortable with the software

yeah, I've already hit some speed-bumps. first, for some reason I get an error message that the camera can't focus, but when I place a sheet of copy paper over each light, it can. second, I get another message when I try to export images to the PC, but I just took out the card to view them. I also haven't figured out how to view/change setting in real time before I take a picture, not sure if this software has that capability.

I may uninstall/download and install again to see if that corrects these things, or maybe search for different software to meet those needs. I'm encouraged, though. B)

• Options
    badgerbadger Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

I always struggle with balancing glare vs. picture quality on the proofs. Then am always fighting the focal length to get the coin and not the plastic cover. My cellphone can get to the usable pictures faster but is just selecting from a series of random shots. IDK how Trueview does it. I would go bankrupt in the coin picture business.

Collector of Modern Silver Proofs 1950-1964 -- PCGS Registry as Elite Cameo

Link to 1950 - 1964 Proof Registry Set
    1938 - 1964 Proof Jeffersons w/ Varieties
  • Options

IDK how Trueview does it. I would go bankrupt in the coin picture business.

I am probably not alone in wishing Phil Arnold would come here more often and join in threads like this to help struggling coin photographers. I'm sure there are members, maybe even PCGS management, that think if that was done PCGS would be giving away secrets and losing business: I think it wouldn't really change much. I want the raw-coin-TrueView image to go along with my coins but I also have stuff that won't see encapsulation, I'd just like to have nice images for my own reference and that I could post here. Mark Goodman did a lot with his book, maybe PA could do something similar, but PCGS probably wouldn't allow that while he's still employed.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations!

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good stuff...

1) It's leveraging the actual DLL from your camera's manufacturer, so the plus/minus is whatever features they expose can be exploited by the code. But if your camera doesn't expose it, well...

2) The code is pretty simple to understand once you get past the initial panic. There is some necessary complexity because of what it takes to run the DLL. There is a hierarchy of camera models that doesn't always seem to follow the glossy ads, but follows the actual hardware... a so-and-so is basically a such-and-such with an extra feature exposed, so that's how it's coded.

FWIW, I use it and have contributed a patch or two.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options

I added new images in the OP.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice. I hope it works out for you.
    After years of trying to use my multiple Nikon cameras, with no success, I bought a cheap Canon off Ebay.
    Nikon never paid much attention to the tethering aspect. It was cumbersome and expensive compared to Canon and Sony.
    I found it much easier and cheaper to just buy a cheap Canon and go that route.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets.... Good luck Al... I will not even attempt to go that route. Years ago, I considered it... even purchased a mini set up for lights and tiny 'dark' area... That is still sit in storage. Just too many other interests and activities. Those are good pictures for just beginning. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file