Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

AU coins that get the Prooflike designation

logger7logger7 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does only NGC do the PL designation on AU coins such as AU55 and AU58 when warranted?

I asked why one of the other services does not do it and I got this response:

"He said 99% no, if he were to see a coin that the fields were PL and the devices were worn to a point where it would be a AU coin then he would consider it but it is statistically unlikely to come across a coin as such since there has to be wear in the fields for a coin to be considered AU and a PL coin needs to maintain a proof like surface across the whole field to get the PL designation. He is aware that PCGS and NGC are "experimenting" with the PL designation on AU graded coins."

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say that here again, clear, measurable parameters must be established. Until they are, then the debate will continue, even as it does regarding grades. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    Does only NGC do the PL designation on AU coins such as AU55 and AU58 when warranted?

I asked why one of the other services does not do it and I got this response:

He said...there has to be wear in the fields for a coin to be considered AU...

An AU coin does not have to have wear in the fields, FWIW.

PCGS has chosen to not assign the PL designation to any grade below MS, unlike NGC. It is disappointing, IMO, but it's their business and they make the rules.
    Lance.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file