Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1946d DDR- 002 Jefferson,any Cherry pickers reference?

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 18, 2020 6:11PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi guys, I brought this variety up before. I was wondering if there is any listings in any Cherry Pickers' Guide? In my CPG, it doesn't show it. Variety vista has it listed as the 1946d ddr- 002. Does anyone know if Coneca has it? Thanks guy's. ;)
Here is Variety vista's pics

Here are pics of mine

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2020 6:26PM

Thanks. Is there any CPG's listings?
    doubleddie, 002 doesn't exactly show variety vista's same pic.

Thanks anyway

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wexler or Coneca, these are the two sources I use.
    Join Coneca, great club and wealth of info on die varieties.

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would send it to James Wiles at Variety Vista(Coneca) and have him verify it or not.
    JMO
    jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2020 6:51PM

The varieties listed on VarietyVista are CONECA varieties. If a variety is also listed in Cherrypicker's, the FS number is noted on the VarietyVista page. So in this particular case, no, it is not a Cherrypicker's variety.

Neat DDR, though - great that you found one, anyway!

• Options

By the way, you are comparing the wrong E's - your E is the E in "CENTS". So you should compare it to the photo below:

• Options
    edited November 18, 2020 7:23PM

Here is the correct "E". Lol Thanks

Variety Vista

Not worth sending in?

• Options

Not worth sending in?

As a general rule, non-Cherrypicker's varieties have less of a market for them, because relatively few people know about them. There are always exceptions, and someone who really has their finger on the pulse of Jefferson nickels would have a better idea which ones those are.

You could drop an email to Bill Fivaz and say that you have a neat unlisted (possibly rare) Jefferson nickel DDR that you'd be happy to photograph for the next edition of CPG. James Wiles has seen only one example, and Wexler doesn't have it listed, so this could be a hard to find variety.

Remember that if you send it in to PCGS now, they will designate it as a "minor DDR" - they won't list the variety.

• Options

@IkesT said:

Not worth sending in?

As a general rule, non-Cherrypicker's variety
    Remember that if you send it in to PCGS now, they will designate it as a "minor DDR" - they won't list the variety.

Ok, thanks for all the info. I'll consider sending an email to Mr. Fivaz. That'll really be somethin' if it would be rare and thrown into the next CPG. ;)

• Options

@jesbroken said:
    I would send it to James Wiles at Variety Vista(Coneca) and have him verify it or not.
    JMO
    jim

Thank you too mm man. I'll consider as well. ;)

• Options

@ECHOES said:

Thank you also, buddy. Has anybody recall anyone ever posting this particular variety on the forum before? :*

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only listing I see in the CPG, 6th Ed. Vol 1, for 1946-D FS-501 (RPM-002) D over Horizontal D

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2020 8:31PM

@ECHOES said:

I will second this advice. I've been a member of CONECA for over 30 years. It's a great resource to learn about doubled dies and many other anomalies.

• Options
    edited November 18, 2020 8:24PM

@oih82w8 said:
    The only listing I see in the CPG, 6th Ed. Vol 1, for 1946-D FS-501 (RPM-002) D over Horizontal D

Thanks, I think you mean the D over Horizontal D, on the 1942? The '46 I think has the"inverted D"?

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

@oih82w8 said:

Thanks, I think you mean the D over Horizontal D, on the 1942? The '46 I think has the"inverted D"?

From the CPG:

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2020 9:16PM

@oih82w8 said:
    From the CPG:

I do see the CPG has that variety, but unfortunately it doesn't have mine, thanks. I'm wondering which variety is amongst the hardest to find? The '46d/d or the 46d DDR?

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

If your coin is not a nice MS example, I would not certify it but maybe keep it in a 2x2 with notes written on it.

I checked over at NGCs varieties that they include (they seem to have 3 times as many as just the CPG numbers) and it is not found there.

With the slowdown of new CPG editions, it could easily be 10 years before next Vol 1 edition and 2-3 editions before your variety listed :(

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting find and good pictures as well....Now I have to check my nickels.... Hoping for a lot of snow this winter, my list of coins to check for is long... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited November 19, 2020 12:10PM

I was thinking? Is it quite possible that this 1946 ddr, maybe happen from the transition from the previous year 1945 ddr? Although, mine's from Denver. So maybe, a reverse of the 1945? Here's the year earlier with similar doubling?

• Options

@IkesT said:

Not worth sending in?

As a general rule, non-Cherrypicker's varieties have less of a market for them, because relatively few people know about them. There are always exceptions, and someone who really has their finger on the pulse of Jefferson nickels would have a better idea which ones those are.

You could drop an email to Bill Fivaz and say that you have a neat unlisted (possibly rare) Jefferson nickel DDR...

Just to let you know, I did just send Mr. Fivaz an email stating what you suggested. Along with many pics . I also mentioned that I'd like to submit the coin but without the listing in the Cherry Pickers Guide, my coin would be designated only a minor variety. We shall see what and if anything becomes of this? Thanks again. I'll let you guys know anything I know.

• Options

@joeykoins said:

@IkesT said:

Not worth sending in?

You could drop an email to Bill Fivaz and say that you have a neat unlisted (possibly rare) Jefferson nickel DDR...

Just to let you know, I did just send Mr. Fivaz an email stating what you suggested. Along with many pics . I also mentioned that I'd like to submit the coin but without the listing in the Cherry Pickers Guide, my coin would be designated only a minor variety. We shall see what and if anything becomes of this? Thanks again. I'll let you guys know anything I know.

Neat - will be interesting to hear what he says!

FYI, neither of the 1945 DDR's looks like the 1946-D (hint: look at the direction of the doubling).

• Options
    BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭

Nice post! I haven't been in the Forum groove for a while.

There are lots of neat Jefferson Nickel varieties out there. This 1946-D DDR is pretty nice with the obvious separations in the serifs of FIVE. It is cool, but is it Cherry Pickers cool? My experiences lead me to say no. First it is circulated and it's just not a wow variety. We know there are two examples, yours and the one listed on Variety Vista (CONECA). Both circulated, which makes it less desirable.

NGC has started their goofy variety attributions for Jeffersons, and I assume for other denominations. Maybe they pump a variety number for it, but need collector excitement, which this one does not have. It might be rare, but if no one wants it, it worth five cents.

I'm always on the hunt for Jefferson varieties hoping to have the ones selected for the next Cherry Pickers. Too bad we will probably have to wait another 10 years, as noted above! That's not going to stop me!

Happy hunting

Check out my "All Variety" Jefferson Set
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/nickels/jefferson-nickels-specialty-sets/jefferson-nickels-fs-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1938-1964/alltimeset/43232

• Options
    edited November 19, 2020 4:54PM

@BigDowgie said:
    Nice post! I haven't been in the Forum groove for a while.

There are lots of neat Jefferson Nickel varieties out there. This 1946-D DDR is pretty nice with the obvious separations in the serifs of FIVE. It is cool, but is it Cherry Pickers cool? My experiences lead me to say no. First it is circulated and it's just not a wow variety. We know there are two examples, yours and the one listed on Variety Vista (CONECA). Both circulated, which makes it less desirable.

NGC has started their goofy variety attributions for Jeffersons, and I assume for other denominations. Maybe they pump a variety number for it, but need collector excitement, which this one does not have. It might be rare, but if no one wants it, it worth five cents.

I'm always on the hunt for Jefferson varieties hoping to have the ones selected for the next Cherry Pickers. Too bad we will probably have to wait another 10 years, as noted above! That's not going to stop me!

Happy hunting

Check out my "All Variety" Jefferson Set
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/nickels/jefferson-nickels-specialty-sets/jefferson-nickels-fs-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1938-1964/alltimeset/43232

Your post is cool and interesting as well. Your inventory is beautiful, dude. Thanks. I see you have the 1939 Reverse of 1940pf.
    Weeks ago, In which has been sent to PCGS for grading, I hunted down the 1940 Reverse of 1938 PF. Jefferson. Are you aware of this variety?

• Options

Yes, I am! That 1940 Rev38 proof is a tough one! Nice find!

I've been collecting the Jefferson series for 30+ years and have been focused on varieties for the past 10. My quest is to finish that "All Variety" Set. Unfortunately, there are 10 dates that no know varieties have been discovered. This is where the hunt is never ending.....find that discovery example!

If you ever have Jefferson Nickel variety questions, let me know.

Happy hunting

• Options
    edited November 19, 2020 7:52PM

@BigDowgie said:
    If you ever have Jefferson Nickel variety questions, let me know.

Most certainly, will do, thanks. You made me feel good about my Jefferson variety. Both of them. Lol. Can't wait to have it on my person.

• Options

Nice! That's a keeper!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file