Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why can’t this happen to me?

MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

Comments

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I know the feeling. Whether it’s the jars of gold coins in the yard, the 19th century proof set in the attic, or the junk box continental dollar there’s always someone who’s a bit luckier than me. :)

• Options
    PRIZ430PRIZ430 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭

Why??? Are you saying you would not give them back???

• Options
    bob48bob48 Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

Nice find and some very honest people in the world.

Bob

• Options

@DrBuster said:
    Good for them giving them back.

I agree, and I would like to think I’d do the same. But I still wish I could find a treasure trove!

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2020 12:53PM

"Integrity means following your moral or ethical convictions and doing the right thing in all circumstances, even if no one is watching you".

Had that happened to me I would hope the person would return to me as well...

Edit to add, KARMA

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options

@Mdcoincollector2003 said:
    That must be a beast of a collection if they didn’t notice 25,000$ worth of coins missing

Even though these look to be largely bullion it does show there may still be a ton of unslabbed coins that aren’t all moderns or valued at bullion.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

True American.

• Options
    matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Imagine what he has in the safe if this is what he stuffs in his sock drawer?

"He said he'd put the containers in the back of his sock drawer a few months ago for safe keeping and didn't see it in his rush to get packed up and moved out of the house. The rest of his coin collection was in his safe."

• Options
    edited November 18, 2020 2:07PM

With the greed I have seen as recently as last week with people bragging how they gamed the system...where is the line drawn? Would like to think I would give it back, one of those you do not know if you would run toward the gunfire until you have been in that situation sort of thing. If you bought an old house and found morgans in the walls...what would you do?

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Honest people.👍
    The owner didn't even take them out for a steak dinner?👎🤔

• Options

It’s possible the owner did something for the finders and it just didn’t get a mention in the article.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll be there's more than $25K there.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

I plan to find a big handful of gold coins in the CoinStar machine.

When I do, I'm keeping them... ;)

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurtleCat said:
    It’s possible the owner did something for the finders and it just didn’t get a mention in the article.

Possibly and hopefully. :)

• Options
    chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like to think I'd give them back BUT I'm a coin collector and sometimes things were just meant to be!

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Easy decision.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mgarmy said:
    With the greed I have seen as recently as last week with people bragging how they gamed the system...where is the line drawn? Would like to think I would give it back, one of those you do not know if you would run toward the gunfire until you have been in that situation sort of thing. If you bought an old house and found morgans in the walls...what would you do?

Keep them. Unlike the story above, there would be no way to ascertain who put them in the wall and when, but presumably between 1921 and today. Could have been any number of previous owners, most of whom if asked would say that they are theirs.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    MizzouMizzou Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭

In case you didn't know -
    Once the documents are signed at closing, anything left in or on that property belong to the new owner

Sometimes I think that animals are smarter than humans, animals would never allow the dumbest one to lead the pack

• Options

Yep.

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now I’m reminded what an honest group metal detectorists are. They will go out of their way to reunite a found gold class ring with its owner. There are still plenty of honest people in the world.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options

My favorite found story is the can of gold in ca as I remember

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember one where a kid was metal detecting and found a bunch of old colonial coins or something worth 630,000.
    Unless your looking for Jean Lafitte's treasure there's not a lot going on in So. TX.

• Options

Best place I heard is Gold Coast in florida where there are something like 13 of 16 Spanish galleons (memory might be off on exact numbers.). Evidently these gold coins wash up and the metal detector guys do it like for a full time job. Awesome

• Options

Every year I go to Destin to visit my in-laws and bring the detector. Its a Garrett machine and I still haven't figured out the salt eliminator/whatever. Not expecting to find any gold coins but possibly a gold ring w/ some diamonds - That would be nice.

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

This could have ended up like that “wall of a greed” banknote story where only lawyers get rich.

https://coinweek.com/education/coin-grading/pedigrees-hoards-the-cleveland-wall-of-greed-hoard/

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options

Just remember that those who keep any found coins would NOT make it into the news.

So, for every story like this, there are probably more NOT told of found discoveries.

I believe in Karma & think anything found should, at least, have an attempt made on the rightful owner.

I found a gold ring a few years back in my workplace & it was reunited with the Nun who had lost it.
    To me it was a lost item, but to the Nun it had sentimental value. It had belonged to her Grandmother who passed away during childbirth.

I believe in paying it forward.

Just my thought.

Chris

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have made an effort to return these coins or find out more on them, like the people in the story. To the people who are on the fence or would quietly keep them without making some effort of finding ownership, or put in stupid snark about the news source, I'd prefer not do business with them.

• Options

I also believe in paying it forward

• Options
    edited November 19, 2020 7:44PM

Duly noted Elmer 😂 But for whatever it’s worth I would have contacted the owners and slept better. So don’t get so butt hurt about your news channel.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2020 3:10AM

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

@3stars said:

@Mgarmy said:

Keep them. Unlike the story above, there would be no way to ascertain who put them in the wall and when, but presumably between 1921 and today. Could have been any number of previous owners, most of whom if asked would say that they are theirs.

Agreed. I have to think the guy that found it wasn't a coin collector so he didn't care. Odd that the alleged owner didn't give a nice reward. But if I bought an old house and found coins in it I would keep it in a NY second. But I am in the minority obviously, can't trust me that is for certain. one to think of it I bought an old house and found coins in the wall when I demoed it and I kept them, everyone last of them. I guess I couldn't have contacted the old owner, there is a chain of title but you know what they say " finders keepers". :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file