Type Coin
Title C K Love Token
Creator John Baumgart
Date 1795
Country U.S.
Side reverse
Composition silver
Denomination $1
Description Love token on 1795 Flowing Hair dollar, reverse ornately engraved C K (or K C) with rifle resting between tree branches.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen this before, not sure where it may have been here. :) Nice engraving!!

Ken
  • Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bearcave said:
    I have seen this before, not sure where it may have been here. :) Nice engraving!!

I believe it was shown here before. Can't remember who.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice to see this one again. Great piece.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ keets Seems like it was figured to be in the 1800's. :smiley:

Ken
  • Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2020 9:50PM

@lkeigwin said:
    Remarkable.

This part is intriguing. It looks very different. Some message?
    Lance.

What defines it to be a love token? Could almost be a symbol for some kind of secret society especially with the strange markings in Ikeigwin's enlargement. (Though I think we safely rule out Cu Klux for the C and K. :). )

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2020 12:37AM

How long would it have taken the coin to reach the level of wear shown by the obverse? This might give a fairly actual time of the etching to have occurred. There is surely a known quantitative average measure of circulation for the series. Just an opinion.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

At first glance a great piece, but so many questions...

(How do we know the "creator" of the coin, by the way?)

As Keets observed, that shotgun dates from the 2nd half of the 19th century. Ouch. They couldn't have used a Seated Liberty or Trade Dollar? :/

BTW, could KC stand for Knights of Columbus? I don't necessarily think so but thought I'd throw it out there.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

I think the name is the person who photographed and or owned the coin, not the creator.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not impressed.

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

To say I like it is a spectacular understatement.

When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

As the percussion cap was introduced in the early 1800's can we further identify anything more advance about the engraved shotgun to identify its date?
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

The firearm is unloaded........................
    The lower part of the 'K' is not attached/broken off [if that is a 'K', maybe it's a 'Y'...........
    we will never know :'(

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

1795 might be the birthdate of the original "KC or CK". The coin itself was probably engraved much later. It was probably not a "love" token but some kind of personal interest token for someone who loved to hunt with the shotgun. Who ever it was, they were probably quite wealthy.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:

@JBK said:

I think the name is the person who photographed and or owned the coin, not the creator.

thanks. that one had me a bit perplexed.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    As the percussion cap was introduced in the early 1800's can we further identify anything more advance about the engraved shotgun to identify its date?
    Jim

True, but the shotgun is broken open, so it is a cartridge gun.

Technically pinfire cartridges came first then maybe rimfire briefly, but far more likely is that it fired conventional centerfire shells.

I don't recall all the dates of the various developments offhand, but I'd guess 1870s onward.

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

How beautiful are those guns. Nowadays it’d be an engraved AR or some crap.

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like it had an earlier graffiti

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the work of a gun engraver.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going to hazard a guess that this coin was engraved around 1865-70. If we surmise that 1795 was the birthday of the original owner that would make him 70-75 at the time it was engraved. The coin itself was probably already well worn at the time it was engraved. The engraving, however, only shows slight signs of wear on the stock of the shotgun and the high points of the branches. If this was intended as a pocket piece, which it probably was, that would indicate that the original owner only carried it for a relatively short period until his death or disability.

It is too bad we will never know the true story.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really neat piece. Thanks for sharing!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super cool! I really appreciate the engraving.

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

The usual great photography from John!

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nice!

Do you think it's a memorial piece rather than a "love token"?

• Options
    truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

@1northcoin said:

@lkeigwin said:
    Remarkable.

This part is intriguing. It looks very different. Some message?
    Lance.

What defines it to be a love token? Could almost be a symbol for some kind of secret society especially with the strange markings in Ikeigwin's enlargement. (Though I think we safely rule out Cu Klux for the C and K. :). )

I don't see anything odd there, looks like a leaf to my eyes, matches the other smaller leaves elsewhere on the engraving. I am certain that the engraver knew what the initials stood for lol. But he never thought ahead that nobody else would in the future which is unfortunate. The subject matter is interesting, like someone else here said the owner must have been an avid woodsman hunter. The intriguing aspect is the broken tree limbs, why was that made significant?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file