Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2002 Gold Eagle $10 Gold Coin MS 69 - NGC Guide Price

Hello all.

I recently purchased this 2002 gold eagle $10 1/4 Oz gold coin for $527. However, when I looked it up on NGC via its barcode numbers it has a guide price of $985. Here is a link to this coin’s page on NGC: https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/3025246-007/69/

My question is, how accurate are these guide prices? I felt that $527 was a reasonable price to put for this coin given that it’s already graded and fairly high at that.

I’ve attached three photos for reference too.

I would appreciate any input from fellow members here.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sheet is listed at $675 and retail at $878

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Price guides, much like grades, are opinions....and unlike grades, are usually inflated. Check auction results and also relate it to market demand at the time of sales. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

What @jmlanzaf said.

• Options
    DuncanWylieWilsonDuncanWylieWilson Posts: 98 ✭✭
    edited November 18, 2020 6:36AM

@jmlanzaf @ricko @Jimnight @Kliao

Thank you for your input. Totally agree with what has been said here. No way would I have paid guide price here. I just thought $527 on the dot was a very fair price to pay considering it is slabbed and graded. Paid just under 11% over melt. Can obviously get lower premiums where the coin is not slabbed and graded, but I highly doubt that’s going to be an issue in the coming months/years given the ludicrous level of state spending across the globe. All fiat currencies fail at some point. 😂

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that is the going price for any year. I need the 2020...

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

@7Jaguars said:
    I think that is the going price for any year. I need the 2020...

Most of the ones I've seen are a good bit more than what I paid - usually around the $600 mark. That being said, I have seen one at $530 and as high as $800. All of them were slabbed.

I find it peculiar that there are raw coins on eBay at more than what I paid for this slabbed MS 69 example and they're priced $20 to $30 more than what I paid for this. If you look on the seller's page they have sold hundreds of them as bullion investment opportunities. That's a lot over spot!

I think harder times are on the way, haha! 🤕

• Options

@7Jaguars said:
    I need the 2020...

I have noticed there are plenty of 1/10 and 1 Oz examples for 2020 available on eBay, but the 1/4 Oz $10 are not as common. Odd.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file