Home U.S. Coin Forum

Need an opinion on a gold eagle

erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 17, 2020 5:38PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Stopped by the local buy-gold place where they let me dig through junk silver. As I was preparing to leave, I asked if they had received anything cool lately and the clerk brought out this 1893 gold eagle.

My questions are these, has it been cleaned(I know its hard to tell with my images but the lighting was bad), what is the grade and how much is it worth? My thoughts are low MS, like 61, but gold is not my series and the pics are blown up huge in comparison. I'm also on the fence about the cleaning because of all the contact marks. I guess the price would depend on thoughts about the above. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭

AU 58 Dipped I"m seeing but am wrong a lot :) ...

• fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Melt + very little.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2020 9:45PM

@PerryHall said:
    AU and very heavily bag marked. Essentially a bullion coin.

Yep. I'd be at around bullion too.

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s a very common date with lots of abrasions and negative eye appeal. Basically it’s a bullion coin.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gut feeling is ex-bezel.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bullion coin.... If you can get it at melt, good for a stack.... Melt is dipping slightly, though long term, it will rise. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file