Home U.S. Coin Forum

Grade the Zincoln......

ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s not my series but I’ve seen better in 65 and 66 holders. So I’ll go with 63rd.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

low MS

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

No better than 63. Spotted, especially on the obverse.

All glory is fleeting.
  • ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    No better than 63. Spotted, especially on the obverse.

63, And what appears to be a large hit above his eye.

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2020 5:53PM

A beaute but do not like the zinc pimples. :/
    Did you weigh it to see if it's a copper?

Zinc=2.5
    Copper =3.1

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS grade MS65, my grade MS63 best.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joey you answered your own question 😂
    Helluvah strike and the pic try’s to hide the luster but I see it.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:

Cmon at least 66

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hits on Abe's head and neck... plating pimples... Looks like plating peeling on beard.... 63 IMO.... Cheers, RickO

@coinbuf said:
    PCGS grade MS65, my grade MS63 best.

I dunno, every zinc cent I’ve seen in a 65/66 holder looks far far better than this.

• privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

I'll admit I was having a little wine last night. Now, that I can see clearly again, I have to agree with everyone that this coin is not worth grading. The following examples can be confusing.

Here is a 66

And a 67

Here is another one of mine that fell short at 67.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why?

• calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

agreed ... why?

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really? This is three grades better than what I posted?

Well for your sake, I hope not. I was just trying to give some comparisons. Maybe a better pic is in order.

This one is a bit off-center but it only got a 66 and it looks pretty darn good compared to the 1983.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

The knock on the eyebrow and spots are really going to hold it back. I'd say 65.
    This one is also a 66. To be honest though I thought they were brutal in assigning this grade.

Collector, occasional seller

edited November 18, 2020 11:30AM

Agree that was a brutal grade at 66.
    Go figure! Here is a 67+

At the same time I have seen several like yours in coinfacts that also graded low. I assumed, that though the strike was solid the surface was too smooth, matte like, and typical of what you would find in a mint set. And in hand has less appeal.

• ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2020 11:29AM

1983 P cents have two strikes against them. There were no mint sets made, and the zinc planchet was still riding a learning curve. That particular coin, really stands out as far as the 1983s I’ve came across. Of course, zipping it off to “grade” is a fools errand, and one I’ll not undertake. It’s just a lot better than most zinc planchet, and pretty much an outlier from how awful 1983s usually are. I look at memorial steps and Abe in there as a way to judge strike on these. •••••••What’s Super Nice here is that’ it’s 37 year RD from circulation which has a hammered strike, great planchet and a minimum of contact marks. Geez I wish when I was a kid collector in 1965 I’d found a 1928 like that :/)

Make no mistake they are tough to find coin brother. As hard as they are to find I feel like the 68 should be worth a hell a lot more.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know, the obv is awful noisy so I'm going with 63. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file