Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Royal Mint selling Columbian Expo Halves on their website

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is interesting... I wonder how many they have in stock.... would seem they should have several in order to advertise without quantity stipulations. No stipulated grade, so take what you get. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    That is interesting... I wonder how many they have in stock.... would seem they should have several in order to advertise without quantity stipulations. No stipulated grade, so take what you get. Cheers, RickO

They seem to sell a number of different vintage coins. Mostly UK coins, of course. Mostly overpriced, of course. But I find the sole US offering interesting. Maybe because of the Mayflower UK-US joint issue? [Not that Columbus was on the Mayflower.]

• Options

@jmlanzaf.... I agree that it seems strange, but you have a point, sort of adding to the historical interest inspired by the UK/US joint set. They do offer some coins from other countries as well. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    ... No stipulated grade, so take what you get.

The page says they are Very Fine.

• Options

@yosclimber.... Is that British VF or US VF?? Or perhaps Euro VF? :D I did see that, but basically discount a description like that outside of a U.S. TPG. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

And does one get to pick the year? Wonder if RM found a hoard in a shoebox in Ottawa? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2020 11:08AM

@ricko said:
    @yosclimber.... Is that British VF or US VF?? Or perhaps Euro VF? :D I did see that, but basically discount a description like that outside of a U.S. TPG. Cheers, RickO

Fair enough.
    Although I think it's fairly clear to expect a moderately circulated coin, so fairly low value.

If they were advertising BU then the value could vary quite a bit, and a TPG slab could help a lot.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2020 11:20AM

They're probably buying these from wholesalers, all in vf, and just marketing them like any other product to willing buyers.
    Unlike the Morgans they last offered, The Royal Mint doesn't claim these come from Her Majesty's Treasury.
    The Remington Typewriter reference is sheer hucksterism ala our t.v. coin peddlers.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

At 35 pounds per VF Columbian half ... are they buying them from QVC first? ;)

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

You know when you order something from Amazon or Walmart and it comes from their warehouse (fulfilled by them) but sold by Bubba’s Garage? Same thing.

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll sell you the same for a mere £25 per coin. Take that BRM!

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

Years ago, I remember when it was possible to buy these by the ziploc bagful (circulated, of course). They are so common that I have no doubt there are still bag-quantity hoards all over the place.

James at EarlyUS.com

On the web: http://www.earlyus.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file