Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

have a dumb question about 25 Cent Walking Liberty Quarters.

YQQYQQ Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not familiar with the details of US coinage .
Are all walking Liberty quarters dated?
If yes, then the one I have is simply worth silver.
A friend suggested that there are some without a date?
Any help is much appreciated
Thanks

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

Comments

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2020 3:37PM

You have a dateless Type Two Standing Liberty quarter. The Type One examples feature a different head design on Liberty. Both types were made with dates in all cases and the one on yours has worn off. The coin’s worth its silver content, or perhaps just slightly above that.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a Standing Liberty Quarter. They all had dates when new but the dates quickly wore off the earlier issues after they entered circulation. Later issues had the dates recessed more and the dates lasted longer in circulation.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yours is without a date. ;)

No, they were all dated. Unfortunately, the date area was prone to being hard hit by circulation wear.

I believe a couple of the earliest ones can still be identified by design characteristics, but otherwise, yours (like one I have) is any date you want it to be. :p

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

Short weight melt, IMHO.

Vplite99
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

the dates on buffalo nickels wore off easily too.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Standing Liberty quarters before 1925 (the year the date was recessed) were very difficult to find with a date even back in 1961 when I first started collecting. I only found two-a 1920-D with a partial date and a 1921 with only the last "1" in the date showing. Buffalo nickels, especially the Variety One and Two of 1913 had dates that wore off very quickly, too.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

As stated above by many, your Standing Liberty Quarter is simply worn... common on those coins. No numismatic premium. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

bummer, its off to the scrap barrel :(

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you all,
    I am impressed to get such a response.
    in to the silver bucket it goes.......hopefully up and up, and up silver goes

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lady Liberty is lazy on the quarter. She only started walking when her value got doubled.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

Searching the web/internet for Standing Liberty quarters, you will find articles that hold a trove of information concerning this coin including a far more thorough answer to your question.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file