Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Which coin grading service would say is the most respected and why?

JruedigerJruediger Posts: 5
edited November 16, 2020 8:44PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I'm new to this hobby and, honestly, I'm just looking to get my sea legs. I'm curious as to which service I should send my coins and the reasons why you think so. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love PCGS. They have streamlined their signup services and on-line submission forms. Your coins are kept track of every step of the way in the grading process. Their customer service is really top notch. I've never had a negative experience and the fun/joy of receiving your coins back is unlike any other!

peacockcoins

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

It depends upon the criteria you are after. Both PCGS and NGC have strengths and there are some things (like ancients) that NGC does but PCGS doesn’t.

For US coins, PCGS generally brings a better price at sell time. For many that makes them better. In my personal experience, PCGS grades more consistently as a whole and I like their slabs better.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2020 3:55PM

Keep in mind would probably get a different answer if you asked the same question on the forum of a competing grading service. If you go to a Tesla forum to ask about cars, you might encounter lots of people who like Teslas. So far, the advice here seems reasonable.

The answer depends partly on what sort of stuff you intend to have graded. Also, my view is perhaps a bit jaded, but if you need to ask this question, it’s unlikely (but not impossible) that you have anything that merits professional grading. The vast majority of collectible coins aren’t rare or valuable enough to justify the expense. I’m not trying to be mean - I’ve just witnessed a ton of people who are new to the hobby spend a ton of money on unjustified grading fees.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suggest you go to a coin forum not owned by a coin grading service and ask your question there.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can always click top right on your post to edit. I'm sure you meant to say "I should send my coins to"
    I'll second @braddick's post.
    This is the place.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of good stuff here.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think both PCGS and NGC are respected. I think you will get your best answer by determining what you want to have graded and then check the market for both TPG's and see which one holds better value. In some cases, it will depend on the coin itself.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep in mind we members must abide by the following rule as stated in a rules thread pinned at top of forum:

“ Posts promoting or bashing other grading companies or services are not allowed.”

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are on a message board run by PCGS, I wonder what kind of replies you will get. >:)

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going to reply with a bit of a different answer.

The best grading service depends on the coins being graded. But PCGS and NGC are the top tier.

For proof cameos, I think there is nobody better than PCGS.
    For tokens, nobody is better than NGC.
    Just my humble opinion on the first two examples that came to mind.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jruediger.... Welcome aboard..... I have coins from four grading services.... That being said, in the coin world, PCGS and NGC are considered top tier. PCGS coins tend to bring more of a premium on the market. That is based on my observations over the years.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2020 5:28PM

I use PCGS cause I believe they are the best show in town. Not only that but I have met most of the crew and I can say without question they are great people. They grade correctly and that’s a the big reason. Great crew doing a great job👌

NGC my second choice.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2020 5:34PM

I will only buy PCGS or NGC, as I consider them the two best.

As @ricko stated.....PCGS tends to bring more money, when sold in the marketplace, so I tend to lean slightly towards them.

Edit to add: It's kind of a bold question to ask on a PCGS site. It tends to make me question your motives just a bit.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2020 3:06PM

PCGS. I like ICG, too. PCGS has the most accurately consistent grading IMO.

• Options
    Winchester1873Winchester1873 Posts: 201 ✭✭✭✭

It’s an individual preference. The best way to find out is to collect what you like from both (P and N). Try to sell after holding for a while. Determine which slabs net the best return, if that’s important to you.

I’m a CLCT (PCGS parent) shareholder for a reason.

And...Welcome to the club! It’s a great place to learn!

Steve

**Disclaimer-I spent a bunch of money today on Cuban coins in NGC holders.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

BTW-welcome!

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS-graded coins bring more money (on average) than those in any other slab. I'd guess a lot of people would equate that with "most respected", myself included.

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinJunkie said:
    PCGS-graded coins bring more money (on average) than those in any other slab. I'd guess a lot of people would equate that with "most respected", myself included.

Bingo!

• Options
    JruedigerJruediger Posts: 5
    edited November 16, 2020 8:43PM

Honestly, I didn't know this was a PCGS forum. I was directed to one of your threads by a specific question I was looking to have answered and thought this was just a general collector's forum...so I signed up and started asking questions. Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Super helpful.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2020 8:45PM

no problem. hope to see you around.

what are you looking to have graded?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

Way too many labels for moderns

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinJunkie said:

That indicates a very close correlation between “most respected” and “most conservative”.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@CoinJunkie said:

That indicates a very close correlation between “most respected” and “most conservative”.

As it should, in my view. There are other factors in play, obviously. I've always considered the PCGS holder the ne plus ultra of the industry and it's only gotten better over the years. PCGS also has the best website among the services, etc.

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is my opinion, and only my opinion: PCGS for silver and NGC for gold. This seems to have worked well for me over the years.

• Options
    matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not hesitate to buy NGC or PCGS slabbed coins for my collection. I pass on everything else unless the cost/risk is worth the crack/regrade.

• Options
    CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

PCGS and NGC.

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

In searching out Jefferson nickels, as long as the photo of the coin is large and clear enough to make an adequate evaluation, most of what I like/want/end up with, happen to be encased in PCGS acrylic. Before them it was ANACS. Not to say the best photographers deal with PCGS only........ ;)

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

It depends on what you are trying to accomplish. For high value coins PCGS is the best. If your looking to get cheap but sentimental valued coins holdered +/- a point or two I use ANACS to save money.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Am not bashing NGC, but I have a super strong preference to avoid ugly white prongs whenever possible.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome! You have found a great place to ask questions ... and the best place to submit coins! :)

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer NGC when it comes to multi slabs etc. Still choose my big 3 are PCGS NGC and ANACS

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many like to rank the grading services or argue about which holder brings the most money. The reality is not all coins that the fall within the same grade are even close to equal. The question should not be about plastic but what is in the plastic and whether the coin represents quality for the grade.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    Many like to rank the grading services or argue about which holder brings the most money. The reality is not all coins that the fall within the same grade are even close to equal. The question should not be about plastic but what is in the plastic and whether the coin represents quality for the grade.

A simple truth that will confuse brand collectors.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seeking quality for the grade is brand that is defined by the coin... the rest only matters if one collects plastic.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

All companies get it wrong at times too.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is an impossible question to answer. Which series, which era, varieties, etc.?

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a famous person once said,,,,,,, Come on man,,,,,,,,,,, PCGS is and always has been #1

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you post this question on the NGC message board, you might get a different response. ;)

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

It surely is not the "other" N..... something.
    they make way too many obvious mistakes.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome! For the modern stuff I collect you need only to search eBay listings of the same coin in the different holders to see what commands the highest resale value. Your at the right place.

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGs is the best by far. More people trust PCGS coins to be close to right on every time.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file