Home U.S. Coin Forum

Incorrect PCGS Cerfification - OGH Rattler Too Old?

pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭✭✭

I searched the forum on this subject but did not find any similar issues. I was preparing a listing for a common date Morgan. I generally do a cert verification before posting any auctions. When I enter this old rattler, the system adds a preceding zero and populates a different coin. Does this coin pre-date the certification archives?

Thanks - Tim

Comments

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

Something fixable is messed up. Send the picture to the registry folks and let them know you want to add it to your inventory. Going through customer service might take a bit longer from what I'm hearing regarding CS turnaround times.

• pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:
    Something fixable is messed up. Send the picture to the registry folks and let them know you want to add it to your inventory. Going through customer service might take a bit longer from what I'm hearing regarding CS turnaround times.

Thanks John - will give that a try.

Tim

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2020 1:32PM

They may want to have you send in the slab to verify authenticity. Counterfeit slabs do exist, but I seem to recall similar database issues with some rattlers.

@BryceM said:
    They may want to have you send in the slab to verify authenticity. Counterfeit slabs do exist, but I seem to recall similar database issues with some rattlers.

Thanks - the counterfeit thought crossed my mind but this is a $70 coin. Seems like a lot of effort to counterfeit a low end coin.

Tim

• I have seen this same issue a # of times when looking up rattlers. Hope they can fix it for you, have never tried to get it corrected myself

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

This has been a long-known issue within PCGS for some rattlers beginning with 50. As soon as I read your thread title I knew the cert number would start with 50. There had been a database mix up years ago that PCGS mentioned on these boards and that affected, again, some certs that began with 50.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too bad it doesn’t start with 108.

• @TomB said:
    This has been a long-known issue within PCGS for some rattlers beginning with 50. As soon as I read your thread title I knew the cert number would start with 50. There had been a database mix up years ago that PCGS mentioned on these boards and that affected, again, some certs that began with 50.

Thanks for that explanation, never knew it was 50's only.

Thanks @KindaNewish - obviously, you are a better forum searcher than me.

Tim

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

have they no reverence?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • ELVIS1ELVIS1 Posts: 159 ✭✭✭

That is the first Morgan that I have seen in a rattler that didn't need to be tapped to straighten it out..

• bob48bob48 Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

Looking thru my list of the serial numbers that needed to be corrected, I never noticed that the s/n had all started with 50xxxxx.
    Thanks

Bob

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some of the white rattlers don't show up either - TomB is all over it - good luck!

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file