Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Need advice on whether to open 1980 Charlotte O's sealed package containing Cal Ripken Jr.

I'm fairly new to submitting items to PSA. I found some old 1980 Charlotte O's minor league baseball cards and submitted the Cal Ripken Jr. to PSA. It came back graded as VG 3. With the open set was also a sealed unopen pack of 1980 Charlotte O's that contains the same card (I'm assuming the grade would be higher). Knowing that the pack contains Ripken's card should I open the back and submit to PSA or leave the package sealed and submit the entire team set? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Best Answers

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm for the choice that ultimately gives you the most option. As you already have the single card, unless you are dead set on upgrading and owning the nicest example possible, then I would keep your 3 and then submit the pack to be graded. You can always change your mind later and crack it. But you can never go backwards. And I don't know much about the issue, but I am guessing that a Ripken pre-rookie in an unsealed pack would be a pretty hot item.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.

Answers

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭

I vote sealed set.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

no

• Options

@blurryface said:
    no

Are you saying "no" to opening it or "no" to submitting the pack intact?

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't assume the card will grade higher. Many cards come out of packs off center and with other defects.

It depends on if you want to "gamble". 23 of the Ripkens have been graded and only one "7" and one "8" with none grading higher.

How does the pack look? Can you post a picture?

A PSA9 could be worth a LOT!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:
    Don't assume the card will grade higher. Many cards come out of packs off center and with other defects.

It depends on if you want to "gamble". 23 of the Ripkens have been graded and only one "7" and one "8" with none grading higher.

I will take a picture this evening of the sealed pack and post it for you. I guess I wasn't sure if the sealed pack would be more valuable with the unknown of the Cal Ripken Jr. grade. Since there were only 1400 of these card sets (and most were tossed after the game) I want to make sure I'm not doing an injustice. I appreciate the input!

• Options

Great!

It's totally up to you if you want to open the pack. Some guys would say "keep it sealed" others would say "let er rip".

LOTS of Ripken collectors out there.

Looking forward to seeing what you have!

By the way welcome to the forums!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

There are no 9's or 10's of any of the cards from that set that have been submitted.

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭

I don't know what you mean when you say to submit the entire team set?

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

@AFLfan said:
    I'm for the choice that ultimately gives you the most option. As you already have the single card, unless you are dead set on upgrading and owning the nicest example possible, then I would keep your 3 and then submit the pack to be graded. You can always change your mind later and crack it. But you can never go backwards. And I don't know much about the issue, but I am guessing that a Ripken pre-rookie in an unsealed pack would be a pretty hot item.

^. options are the best thing to have. you can always open it.

@TPopeCLT1979 said:

@blurryface said:
    no

Are you saying "no" to opening it or "no" to submitting the pack intact?

your title question was whether to open the sealed set, correct?

and my answer again was "no". in other words, i would not open it.

• Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep it sealed. It is more rare as a sealed set and will fetch top dollar at auction amongst Ripken collectors. The odds of pulling anything higher than a PSA 7-8 are very low, so let someone else pay a premium for the sealed set if you ever choose to sell. Sweet set and looking forward to seeing the picture.

• Options

@Ironmanfan said:
    I don't know what you mean when you say to submit the entire team set?

IMF

Basically, this was an entire team set given out at one of the Charlotte O's AA games during the 1980 season (poorly sealed in shrink wrap plastic). From what I understand, there wasn't a whole lot of people at the game and most of the packs were tossed in the dumpster after it was over. The team set contains Cal Ripken Jr's first ever baseball card, Cat Whitfield, along with a team picture and the rest of the team. I've attached a picture of my first PSA submission that shows the Cal Ripken Jr card. Thank you to everyone for the advice!

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep sealed and get pack graded

• Options

I'm very familiar with the set....It's just that I've never seen the unopened set (in cellophane) slabbed.....

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

@Ironmanfan said:
    I'm very familiar with the set....It's just that I've never seen the unopened set (in cellophane) slabbed.....

IMF

Ahhhh... I see what you mean now. I'll post a picture of it this evening once I get home from work. Thank you!

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

Hey JoeBonzai - Here's a picture of the sealed pack. Do you think I should send the entire pack to PSA for grading? I'm not sure how that works with something like this... Thanks again!

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Serious question: does PSA encapsulate that type of thing?

• Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

That pack is freaking awesome! Keep it sealed. I would call Steve at BBCE and see if it can be authenticated by PSA, or by him as their lead grader for unopened. That thing needs to be preserved in sealed form...truly outstanding collectible.

• Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have any advice, but I will say that these are the types of threads that make this place fun. There can't be many of these sets out there, let alone still sealed. I wonder if anyone knows the sequencing, insofar as where the Ripken most likely sits within that sealed team set.

Thanks for sharing!

• Options

@TPopeCLT1979 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Hey JoeBonzai - Here's a picture of the sealed pack. Do you think I should send the entire pack to PSA for grading? I'm not sure how that works with something like this... Thanks again!

Your odds at pulling a Ripken PSA 9 are very slim and probably zero chance at a 10.

There is a good argument to keeping it as is, but I like to look at cards........not packages of cards, so I would be VERY tempted to open it.

You could always see if PSA will grade the pack and rip it later if you change your mind. I don't see any decision on what you want to do with it. Sell for the most money? Keep for your personal collection?

I agree it's a rarity as is, but what's the fun in that? I would open it, but that's totally up to you. As stated before, you already have the single. Or are you selling that?

• Options
    edited November 17, 2020 6:33AM

@balco758 said:

Is this considered a "pack" or just a sealed set? Would PSA even slab/grade this is my question...

IMF

• Options
    edited November 17, 2020 6:39AM

@Ironmanfan said:

@balco758 said:

Is this considered a "pack" or just a sealed set? Would PSA even slab/grade this is my question...

IMF

perhaps a "pack" of a team set. i am sure they'd slab it, if they had a holder for it. since this is an orioles thread, i'm sure you're familiar w psa NOT slabbing '89 fleer cello packs anymore. my guess would be based on card count. since many of the FF cellos had an extra card and were deemed too thick and prone to damage while holdering.

• Options

@daltex said:
    Serious question: does PSA encapsulate that type of thing?

Being that I'm extremely new to all this I was wondering the same thing... Thanks to this thread I now have a better understanding! Appreciate all the input everyone :)

• Options

@Frozencaribou said:
    I don't have any advice, but I will say that these are the types of threads that make this place fun. There can't be many of these sets out there, let alone still sealed. I wonder if anyone knows the sequencing, insofar as where the Ripken most likely sits within that sealed team set.

Thanks for sharing!

From what I understand Ripken was card #16. However, the numbering doesn't completely line up. BTW, I just remembered that they spelled his name wrong on the back "Ripkin".. :D

• Options

Your odds at pulling a Ripken PSA 9 are very slim and probably zero chance at a 10.

There is a good argument to keeping it as is, but I like to look at cards........not packages of cards, so I would be VERY tempted to open it.

You could always see if PSA will grade the pack and rip it later if you change your mind. I don't see any decision on what you want to do with it. Sell for the most money? Keep for your personal collection?

I agree it's a rarity as is, but what's the fun in that? I would open it, but that's totally up to you. As stated before, you already have the single. Or are you selling that?

I've been thinking the same way... I want to open it but from a historical aspect it would be nice to keep it sealed. In regards to selling, if I open the pack I would keep the highest graded Ripken card and sell the other. If I don't open it, I may just keep the sealed pack and pass it on to my kids when they get older. I'm really torn... This thread has given me some valuable insight so I appreciate all of the responses!

• Options

@TPopeCLT1979 said:

I've been thinking the same way... I want to open it but from a historical aspect it would be nice to keep it sealed. In regards to selling, if I open the pack I would keep the highest graded Ripken card and sell the other. If I don't open it, I may just keep the sealed pack and pass it on to my kids when they get older. I'm really torn... This thread has given me some valuable insight so I appreciate all of the responses!

Based on what you said, I would sell the graded Ripken and get the set graded (if PSA will do it) and put it away.

• Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 459 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow...great conversation here. I was wondering if PSA will grade the pack too. Looks like Ripken will be in the middle, with some possible corner wear/bend. Surface should be good, maybe some chipping on the blue edge, centering is an unknown of course.

What I recommend depends on your collecting goals/style.

1. If you are an avid Orioles fan or Ripken collector, then open it. Chances are the card inside is going to grade higher than the 3 you have. Keep the new card at a 4 or 6 or 9, then sell the 3.

2. If you are a passionate collector of New York Yankees or Detroit Tigers or (insert team here), then grade the sealed pack, sell it, and go buy that Mantle or Kaline card you always wanted.

3. If your goal in the hobby is to flip cards and make money, then grade the pack.

As for me, I would open it - I like to look at cards and talk about players, not packages of cards...lol. Great dilemma to have. Sleep on it, talk to your family. Let us know what you decide to do.

• Options

@Chicago1976 said:
    Wow...great conversation here. I was wondering if PSA will grade the pack too. Looks like Ripken will be in the middle, with some possible corner wear/bend. Surface should be good, maybe some chipping on the blue edge, centering is an unknown of course.

What I recommend depends on your collecting goals/style.

1. If you are an avid Orioles fan or Ripken collector, then open it. Chances are the card inside is going to grade higher than the 3 you have. Keep the new card at a 4 or 6 or 9, then sell the 3.

2. If you are a passionate collector of New York Yankees or Detroit Tigers or (insert team here), then grade the sealed pack, sell it, and go buy that Mantle or Kaline card you always wanted.

3. If your goal in the hobby is to flip cards and make money, then grade the pack.

As for me, I would open it - I like to look at cards and talk about players, not packages of cards...lol. Great dilemma to have. Sleep on it, talk to your family. Let us know what you decide to do.

I appreciate your insight on this subject and your points make complete sense. Even though I'm dying to open it, the historical aspect of keeping it sealed (knowing what's inside) has me torn. This decision isn't an easy one! Hopefully I won't lose too much sleep over the next week and will have an answer for everyone after Thanksgiving. Thanks again for all of the advice on here. This has been a great experience!

• Options
    59Horsehide59Horsehide Posts: 427 ✭✭✭

I do not have any idea what other players are in the pack. If there are others who actually became Major Leaguers, I would be inclined to leave the pack as is and try to get it graded. More ML'ers would likely translate to more collectors. If making the decision becomes unbearable for you, I would take it off your hands and guarantee it won't go in any dumpster! :)

• Options

I think this is a list of the players in the set. Copied from population report.

Larry Anderson

John Buffamoyer

Brooks Carey

Doc Cole

John Denman

Tommy Eaton

Kurt Fabrizio

Will George

The Pepper Girls

Jose Gonzales

Drungo Hazewood

Dave Huppert

Minnie Mendoza

Edwin Neal

Russ Pensiero

Billy Presley

Luis Quintana

Dan Ramirez

Cal Ripken Jr.

Willie Royster

John Shelby

Tommy Smith

Don Welchel

Cat Whitfield

Jimmy Williams

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

I summonsed @ripkenintheminors to see if he can weigh-in on this subject. AWESOME pack!

In the meantime, you can check out his site: https://ripkenintheminors.com/

• Options

@jeffcbay said:
    I summonsed @ripkenintheminors to see if he can weigh-in on this subject. AWESOME pack!

Thank you for flashing the bat signal, Jeff!

This is a pretty amazing find. In 15-16 years of keeping up with Cal's minor league cards this is the first sealed pack I have ever seen. The only other reference to the possibility of sealed packs in existence I know of is based on an interview with Cal several years ago where he said he had a "box full of those sets."

Personally, there is absolutely no way I would break a sealed set from the original cellophane. There can't be many out there.

All of this begs a question: Where in the world did you find it? Is there any story?

• Options

@ripkenintheminors said:

@jeffcbay said:

Thank you for flashing the bat signal, Jeff!

This is a pretty amazing find. In 15-16 years of keeping up with Cal's minor league cards this is the first sealed pack I have ever seen. The only other reference to the possibility of sealed packs in existence I know of is based on an interview with Cal several years ago where he said he had a "box full of those sets."

Personally, there is absolutely no way I would break a sealed set from the original cellophane. There can't be many out there.

All of this begs a question: Where in the world did you find it? Is there any story?

Hi Jeff... I really appreciate you answering the bat signal and helping with this very difficult (but extremely awesome) dilemma! Here's a little bit of the story that goes along with the sealed pack...

I've lived in Charlotte, NC my entire life and would frequent Charlotte O's games at Crockett Park with my dad when I was a kid (before it burned down in 85). I vividly remember the bleachers we would sit on, smelling the hotdogs and popcorn, and picking up all of the dropped give-a-ways after the games.

My father, Tom Pope, helped design the Charlotte O's logo, as well as a lot of the paraphernalia/give-a-ways, in the late 70's and early 80's (posters, schedules, unused popcorn box, pencils, etc..). The memorabilia has been stored away for years. After my father passed in 2016, I've finally found the strength to go through all of my old baseball cards and rehash those memories. I knew these Charlotte O's sets were in there but never gave much thought to the value of them until recently.

I struggle with the historical aspect of opening the pack and I'm leaning towards preserving it (since I have a complete set that's already opened). I've thought about auctioning off some of it but haven't quite decided yet... If times continue to get tough, I may have no other choice.

Anyhow, I hope that gave you a little insight into how this pack still exists in its unopened state. Thanks again for your insight and I'm always willing to relive the good ol' Charlotte O's AA minor league days!

Stay well,

Thomas Pope