Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone know Robert Starr Benner?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 16, 2020 4:07AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Ever since the gold ANA 50 Year Membership medals for Pittman and Newman became available, I've been interested in these. I even picked up the gold and silver 25 year medal for Newman. It's especially nice that PCGS slabs these.

I just came across this one and was interested in it but wanted to know if Robert Starr Benner is a well known collector or dealer? I did some searches but nothing conclusive came up. The only thing i found is that he';s mentioned in a newsletter for the Harrisburg Coin Club:

Harrisburg Coin Club Inc: Po Box 51, Highspire, PA 17034: PA
[...]
Individual members celebrating their 50th anniversaries with the ANA were Clifford Benjamin, Robert Starr Benner, Drury Callahan, James E.

Apparently these are issued in solid gold and gold plate. This one is 10K solid gold as shown in the photo.

Here's Eric Newman's medal which is now in my collection.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no idea who he was/is....but that is a nice medal. I like the design with the lamp and book. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

No idea here

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is his pic @Zoins

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options

• Options

Appears that he is now 95 and resides in Chico, CA

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I have no idea who he was/is....but that is a nice medal. I like the design with the lamp and book. Cheers, RickO

That's the seal of the ANA. You should join.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 ... Thanks, I was aware of that... Used to be an ANA member...Been involved in a lot of things the past few years... Might rejoin soon. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file