Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Would a long acetone bath benefit this one?

gowithmygutgowithmygut Posts: 131 ✭✭✭
edited November 15, 2020 7:11PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Thanks for your thoughts

Successful transactions with RYK, Soldi, Cent225, RG, ilmcoins, Jim Tyler, commoncents05, coinduece, Hash Tag, jclovescoins, carsgoby, Smittys, Pittstate03, astrorat, pragmaticgoat, al032184, Rob41281, commoncents05, TexasAKHouston, nankraut, Lakesammman, Wahoo554, Vetter, RedSeals, coinlieutenant and others.https://www.ebay.com/str/GoldenDoubleEagleCoins

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would leave this one as it is... if you don't like it sell it and buy one you like.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 15, 2020 7:15PM

Looks like a great MS70 candidate to me. If that didnt help, then acetone would probably get some of it off.

What's it grade? 62?

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

It won't hurt, but I don't think it will remove it all.

• Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

Shouldn't hurt to try!

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@drei3ree said:
    Shouldn't hurt to try!

Agree. Acetone won't hurt the coin and may remove some of that grime.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    gowithmygutgowithmygut Posts: 131 ✭✭✭

@erwindoc said:
    Looks like a great MS70 candidate to me. If that didnt help, then acetone would probably get some of it off.

What's it grade? 62?

It is a 61 and a DDR, so I like it, but wouldn’t mind liking it more.

Successful transactions with RYK, Soldi, Cent225, RG, ilmcoins, Jim Tyler, commoncents05, coinduece, Hash Tag, jclovescoins, carsgoby, Smittys, Pittstate03, astrorat, pragmaticgoat, al032184, Rob41281, commoncents05, TexasAKHouston, nankraut, Lakesammman, Wahoo554, Vetter, RedSeals, coinlieutenant and others.https://www.ebay.com/str/GoldenDoubleEagleCoins

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

A coin with that kind of value should just be resubmitted back to the third party grader for conservation and reholdering. They have other techniques beside acetone dipping, such as electrolysis.

While acetone dipping will never harm the coin, improper procedure would. The coin might accidentally get damaged while handling it and dipping it in a container of acetone. Is the container glass? If so, do not drop it or lay it in there. How will the coin be held? Gloved hands? Coin Tweezers? The coin tweezers can accidentally damage the coin. There is also the risk of getting impurities on the coin from breathing on it (always wear face mask) or laying it on a towel after dipping. The towel may have impurities.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    mok13mok13 Posts: 105 ✭✭✭

@DeutscherGeist said:
    A coin with that kind of value should just be resubmitted back to the third party grader for conservation and reholdering. They have other techniques beside acetone dipping, such as electrolysis.

While acetone dipping will never harm the coin, improper procedure would. The coin might accidentally get damaged while handling it and dipping it in a container of acetone. Is the container glass? If so, do not drop it or lay it in there. How will the coin be held? Gloved hands? Coin Tweezers? The coin tweezers can accidentally damage the coin. There is also the risk of getting impurities on the coin from breathing on it (always wear face mask) or laying it on a towel after dipping. The towel may have impurities.

can you explain the issues with acetone in a glass container? i'd like to know more about

Henri, From the French Riviera with love

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mok13 said:

@DeutscherGeist said:

can you explain the issues with acetone in a glass container? i'd like to know more about

A glass container is suggested since acetone will dissolve a plastic container. Also, acetone evaporates quickly so keep the container covered. Use in a well ventilated area and keep away from sparks and don't smoke since acetone is highly flammable.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Acetone will remove any organic deposits. Always give it a fresh acetone rinse after the cleaning soak. There may be surface damage beneath some of those residues. Let us know how it turns out. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

@mok13 said:

A glass container filled with acetone is great on one level as it won't react with the acetone. However, when you put coins inside of it, where are they going to be placed? Bottom of the glass bowl surface? That surface is hard and can potentially dent the coin, especially when dropped. Accidents to happen. If you are suspending it in acetone solution by using acetone resistant plastic coin tongs, that is good as it does not touch the glass container, but be careful the coin does not slip out of the tongs to hit the glass. Also, the portion that the tong touches on the coin will not get acetone exposure as much, so be sure to also attach the tongs on a different portion of the coin and hold it in acetone for a soak. After soaking in acetone, make sure there is a final rinse of clean acetone to wash away any loose impurities. One of those chemical squirt bottles from a science store would work well on rinsing the coin. Acetone air dries very quickly, so you can air dry or use a blow dryer with a clean filter (you do not want to blow impurities onto the coin). I would not use a cotton or micro fiber towel to pat dry because you can not be sure of the impurities on them being transferred to the coin. If using distilled water instead of acetone for the final rinse, that is fine, but then blow dry the water off, since pat drying with a towel just increases the chance of getting impurities on it no matter if the towel is brand new out of the package. Once dry, put it back in the capsule.

The material used to make the science squirt bottles specifically for acetone is polyethylene and some parts are polypropylene. They are the few plastics that resist acetone in the short term, not the long term. They cannot be used as storage for acetone, but can hold acetone without issues for a day or so as recommended by the manufacturers. I suppose a container made of this plastic would be fine if you wanted to soak the coin in there for a few hours. The coin touching this plastic cannot be harmed by it as it is not as hard as the coin. You can lay the coin at the bottom.

Just my two bits. Most of what I said has been repeated by conscientious collectors on this forum. I am just getting more detailed about the possible cross-contamination and areas where accidents may happen while conserving coins.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    mok13mok13 Posts: 105 ✭✭✭

thank you very much for your time !
    I after reading your comment, i thought there could be a chemical reaction between acetone and glass...
    so I am doing right. glass container with a acetone resistant holder. :smiley:

Henri, From the French Riviera with love

• Options
    ELVIS1ELVIS1 Posts: 159 ✭✭✭

If you decide to conserve your coin I would like you to think of acquiring a set of inexpensive lab bottles . They will make cleaning acetone off the coin (with an acetone rinse) And rinse the coin with distilled water to alleviate water spots while drying.. This set is made of LDPE and has been used for chems like acetone for decades..

https://www.amazon.com/Medical-Squeeze-Reusable-Watering-Valchoose/dp/B07Z8ZN9Z3/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=LDPE+wash+bottles&qid=1605637721&s=industrial&sr=1-3

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file