Home U.S. Coin Forum

Confederate Half Dollar and Cent restrikes by August Frank or Robert Bashlow

ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 7, 2021 7:21AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I just ran across the August Frank brochure from David Gladfelter in this E-Sylum post. Common discussion attribute the Confederate Half Dollar and Cent restrikes to Robert Bashlow, but the following brochure from August Conrad Frank (the minter) makes no mention of Bashlow.

Is this brochure from after Bashlow stopped paying Frank and Frank took the medals in payment?

David Gladfelter wrote in E-Sylum on June 27, 2010:
Not only do I have one of these sets, but also the papers that go with it.

Comments

• NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always thought Robert Bashlow had the August Frank & Co. Mint these for him.

I think your right about maybe this is a later brochure. I think I do remember reading he became in debt with them and they took ownership of various dies.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think I have ever seen the full set in the holder pictured. I wonder how many were sold?

All glory is fleeting.
  • NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    I don't think I have ever seen the full set in the holder pictured. I wonder how many were sold?

I'm kicking myself because about 10 years ago I was offered one of these sets for $450. I passed on it. :#

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not familiar with this brochure. Nice.

I was told by a reliable source that Bashlow engaged Frank to strike these for him but never paid for the ones he took delivery on. No idea how many those were. Frank eventually took possession of the remainders and sold them himself.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

The sets turn up from time to time. Prices are usually high, often in the $2,000 range.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2020 12:12AM

@CaptHenway said:
    I am not familiar with this brochure. Nice.

This the first time I've run across it too.

In addition to listing August Conrad Frank as the seller, the most interesting thing I found in the brochure was how the dies were created and the affidavits.

It's interesting to note that the dies / hubs for the half dollar weren't available and a die was made from using a coin as a master hub.

I'm also curious where the signed affidavits are now. They would be interesting to see.

• ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2020 1:45PM

The half dollar has a “weird” surface. Almost as if the whole thing is a delicate matte. The lettering is ‘rounded’, Strange piece, BTW the halves are piedfort also.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if Capital Plastics made this holder, and if so if their records would show who ordered them and how many were made.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

@jonathanb said:
    The sets turn up from time to time. Prices are usually high, often in the $2,000 range.

Alex Pancheco sold one for $1800 not so long ago:

https://www.tipsicocoin.com/tokens-medals/set-of-robert-bashlow-confederate-coinage-restrike-tokens-rare

@CaptHenway said:
    I wonder if Capital Plastics made this holder, and if so if their records would show who ordered them and how many were made.

The interesting thing is the one in the brochure has the additional line "SECOND RESTRIKES" that many don't have. I wonder how many holders have that text?

edited April 7, 2021 7:23AM

Here's a nice holder with a photo from Kenny Sammut.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of discussion on these Confederate pieces lately...Thanks for the additional information and pictures. Cheers, RickO

• VbyrneVbyrne Posts: 10

My collection Beautiful coins

Wow! Those are super high mataching grades @Vbyrne!

Have you thought about getting a multi holder?

I tried to get one but they NGC said they for only bulk dealer orders.

They aren’t accepted in the competitive registry of NGC either. This I feel is shortsighted and unfair. PCGS already has a designation and valuation for these coins.
    So even thou they have a substantial value NGC excludes them.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very impressive set. Are you planning to eventually get the Scott restrike?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

Maybe if I win the lottery.
    The Lovett Cent: A Confederate Story is the most comprehensive book on the Bashlow restrike and other confederate coinage. It’s a fascinating read.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file