Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Newly acquired USS Nautilus

KnellKnell Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭

Been wanting one of this....

Arrived today. I'm happy the medal looks good/clean.

Comments

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat item! How rare is it?

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is awesome!!! Where did u find it?

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options

@koynekwest
    I don't know how rare this kind of medal is but they're kinda expensive for my budget. Anyhow my best offer of $80 was accepted (from ($99) less the 5% eBucks last week.
    @Raufus
    Got it on eBay. There are 3 listed right now. One of the seller has it listed for $100 OBO with packaging and one without packaging (I offered $80 for the $100 listed but was declined). Another seller listed it for $175 OBO with packaging and 3 sets available.

I like it and very happy with it.
    Thanks.

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 14, 2020 11:22PM

Now there are 2 :-)

How cool!

No best offer on the last 3. Also missed the 5% ebucks. So, I paid about twice what u did.

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a nice medal. I have been aboard the U.S.S. Nautilus. It was in the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard when I worked there... I was not part of the work detail, but could not resist going aboard to look around. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice condition and the original holder is a big plus.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool congrats!

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went on the civilian tour a few years ago for the areas open to the public. Sure wish I could have gotten into the nuclear reactor part!! Submariners are a different breed... not sure I would be able to handle it.

Nice item... wouldn't mind having one myself.

----- kj
  • Options
    NSPNSP Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pickup! There are two types of packaging: the “To Commemorate the Launching” and the “In Recognition of Your Contribution” with the person’s name hand written in. I have the latter, and I believe it was given to the Electric Boat employees who helped build the Nautilus. Yours may have been given to attendees of the launching ceremony, or possibly one of the workers in the supply chain that helped make the submarine a reality (e.g., I recall seeing one that was given to a Bettis Atomic Power Laboratory employee). I hope to get to visit the Nautilus in person someday, because it truly is a remarkable leap forward in both naval power and nuclear energy.

Mine can be found at this link:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1030043/underway-on-nuclear-power/p1

• Options

@NSP
    Thanks for the info. I've seen your post (link) before and I've actually acquired the Westinghouse Bettis Atomic Lab medal in orig packaging because of your posting (Westinghouse medal will arrive tomorrow.
    Thanks.

• Options

@Knell said:
    @NSP
    Thanks for the info. I've seen your post (link) before and I've actually acquired the Westinghouse Bettis Atomic Lab medal in orig packaging because of your posting (Westinghouse medal will arrive tomorrow.
    Thanks.

Nice, I really love the BAPL medal! It’s too bad that the only really nice 1950s-1960s nuclear Navy medals are these two plus the Enterprise medals. I really wish they would’ve made one for the Seawolf (SSN-575, the only nuclear powered US Navy ship without a pressurized water reactor) and Knolls Atomic Power Lab (ran by GE, Westinghouse’s competitor), because they would complement the Nautilus and BAPL medals so well, but unfortunately that didn’t happen.

• Options

@NSP
    Also read your post from CoinTalk dated 12/21/19 regarding these medals. I learned a lot from both of your postings.
    By the way, you mentioned you would like to visit USS Nautilus someday. Is the sub open for tourist/visitors now? I would love to visit that as well.

Thanks for the info again.

• Options

@Knell I’m happy to hear that you’ve enjoyed my posts! The USS Nautilus is currently a museum ship in Groton, CT, very close to Electric Boat where it was built. I presume that there are COVID-19 restrictions in place (and may even be temporarily closed), but it can be visited by the public (or at least it will be after the pandemic is over).

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

We visited the Nautilus some years ago. Very interesting. I also have the Enterprise medal and it's holder.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

. . . . . . . . "You thank God and I'll thank the Electric Boat Division . . . .that'll cover us both ways."

Rock Hudson (Captain Faraday) . . in "Ice Station Zebra" (Alastair MacClain)

Drunner

• Options
    CoinGuy42CoinGuy42 Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2020 3:48PM

I was a submariner for 35 years...that is a beautiful piece of history you have. USS NAUTILUS is now a museum in Groton, CT (submarine capital of the world). The museum is currently closed due to Covid.

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very Cool... :#

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options

@NSP
    I received my parcel with the Westinghouse Bettis Lab medal but unfortunately the medal is missing, only the medal packaging and packing slip from seller. The seller's envelope and a hole or a tear or cut at the bottom of the envelope. Might have fallen or stolen. Too bad I have to hunt for another one again. Already sent message to the seller and asking for an advise of what to do. This is my first time missing a content of an envelope. Should I file a claim with eBay or wait for the sellers response.
    Thanks.

• Options

Man that’s a shame! I’m guessing that the medal came out of the holder and rolled around in the envelope until it wore through. I guess you should wait to see what the seller says.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do both, you can always cancel the claim. Would be nice if the seller does the right thing. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2020 12:28PM

Walt Disney's television program "The Mickey Mouse Club" filmed a short presentation aboard the Nautilus in 1956.

Ship logo drawn by Walt Disney

Two children taken below

Little girl wearing "Mickey Mouse Club" cap gets to steer the ship

Shipboard juke box

One can find the film on the internet.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list