Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How often are collectors / dealers known by their coins?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 12, 2020 8:30PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I was just reading an E-Sylum article on a dealer Corrado Romano and I was struck by how he's introduced by the coins he's owned.

Is this approach of noting coin people very common?

Don Corrado Romano, usually called "Corrado" was a dealer in coins and stamps in his early years at 25 Harrison Avenue, Springfield, Massachusetts. For some he is known as the owner of a 1776 Continental Silver Dollar,1792 XF Silver Center Cent, he acquired in 1958, and of the 13 Silver Dollars he owned struck before 1800 is the 1794 B-1, BB-1, XF-40 Silver Dollar, he acquired in 1957, and an 1836 Gobrecht Dollar.

https://www.coinbooks.org/v21/esylum_v21n40a12.html

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 13, 2020 6:52AM

Coin people usually noted by their area of specialization but some well known ones may have reference to individual coins they have owned / handled thru their business.

I have known a number of Dealers by specialization which were setup at shows I setup at. In certain instances they were a source of material. As far as individual coins no.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Hi, I'm Troy McClure. You may know me from the finest known 1917 Kissing Lincoln cent."

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I knew a couple of dealers at shows in the PNW by the coins they specialized in.... When seeking something special, I would usually go to their tables first... That being said, such dealers were in the minority, since most are generalists. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not know who the hell "Lord St Oswald" is but by the coin associated to his name! Damn fine piece too!

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 13, 2020 8:28AM

@Eldorado9 said:
    I would not know who the hell "Lord St Oswald" is but by the coin associated to his name! Damn fine piece too!

Good one! And great coin!

Rowland Winn (4th Baron St Oswald) is the one that sold the coin he inherited from William Strickland (6th Baron Boynton) who purchased the coin when he visited the US from England from 1794-1795.

Imagine picking up that 1794 dollar new on your visit to a new country!

I like to note these coins for their earliest owner, William Strickland in this case.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file