Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Morgan grades

I've been looking for a nice 1885-CC in MS65. I'm not sure about other examples halfs quarters etc. but I look on an auction site and see many morgans in pcgs holders and other holders NGC, ANACS that look like 63-64 but say 65? Very few look 65 to me or at least a good example that I would want to purchase. I even see a few 65's that look the same or better than 66's.
Do people crack these out somehow and put 64's in 65 or 65's in 66 holders? Then re-submit their coin to sell again?
Not intention to insult any of the grading companies at all and I do realize there are low and top end coins in each grade.
I'm sure this has been discussed many times before. But I don't live here like some of you guys. lol

Love the 1885-CC Morgan

Comments

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

When money is involved there is both the crackout game and potential gradeflation. Both have occurred and sometimes coins are altered after crackouts in an attempt to get them into a better grade holder. Also some market grades may price at 65 (and probably tombed at their highest grade) so they’ll be put into a 65.

Just like how some early gold and silver got moved from AU to MS over the years as service re-evaluated their criteria of what counts as wear.

• Options
    RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had one open for an 1885 CC also. Most seem to run more baggy than I like.

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • Options
    ccmorganccmorgan Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

Can someone let me know what grey sheet bid/ask price is for a 65?
    I have a GSA at home that's a 63/64 on a good day. Maybe I'll post pics and see what you guys think.
    Thanks

Love the 1885-CC Morgan
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a couple of '85's, but they are in the GSA box still....Not interested in slabbing them. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my earliest discussions here relates to what you are talking about. You might find the comments interesting.
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/973041/seeking-opinions-on-this-1885-cc-update-grade-posted#latest

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

@ricko said:
    I have a couple of '85's, but they are in the GSA box still....Not interested in slabbing them. Cheers, RickO

Post some pics when you get around to it.

Love the 1885-CC Morgan
  • Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

This discussuion is bringing back memories.

I was a humble recipient of the coveted “you suck” award back in 2014 for a case resembling the above discussion on an 85-cc.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lighting is off but this is a decent 85cc GSA

• Options
    CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

@AlanSki said:

Looks like a MS65+/MS66 very nice!

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ccmorgan said:
    I've been looking for a nice 1885-CC in MS65. I'm not sure about other examples halfs quarters etc. but I look on an auction site and see many morgans in pcgs holders and other holders NGC, ANACS that look like 63-64 but say 65? Very few look 65 to me or at least a good example that I would want to purchase. I even see a few 65's that look the same or better than 66's.
    Do people crack these out somehow and put 64's in 65 or 65's in 66 holders? Then re-submit their coin to sell again?
    Not intention to insult any of the grading companies at all and I do realize there are low and top end coins in each grade.
    I'm sure this has been discussed many times before. But I don't live here like some of you guys. lol

I think CC coins in mint state get "the benefit of the doubt" on grades....whereas if the coin were from another mint they would not receive that "bump", whether it is intentional or not, or just my imagination....I don't really know.

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AlanSki said:

Top 100 VAM 4 to boot!

When in doubt, don't.
  • Options

@ChrisH821 said:
    One of my earliest discussions here relates to what you are talking about. You might find the comments interesting.
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/973041/seeking-opinions-on-this-1885-cc-update-grade-posted#latest

I remember that now that I saw my rely too. I was one that guessed a 65. Tough crowd here. lol

Love the 1885-CC Morgan
  • Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ccmorgan - here is an 1885-CC in MS65 for sale for a decent price at Coast to Coast:

https://www.coastcoin.com/items/200729/

• Options
    ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always noticed the grading service's are more forgiving with CC S compared to the other mint marks

• Options

@pointfivezero said:
    @ccmorgan - here is an 1885-CC in MS65 for sale for a decent price at Coast to Coast:

https://www.coastcoin.com/items/200729/

Nice but I don't like the patina and or what looks to be part of a finger print at 9 o'clock-ish on the reverse.

Love the 1885-CC Morgan
  • Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

No problem, @ccmorgan. I'll keep my eyes open for more 65's sans the big fingerprint.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file