Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Maximum Morgan Dollar weight tolerance

Hi,
I have a Morgan that I would probably put at AG3 or G04, which weights around 25.41g. I was wondering if that is in an exceptionable weight tolerance for silver loss? It's something I've had a really long time that I just came across. At most I may have paid around 17$ for it when I acquired it back around 2014.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

26.73 +/- 0.097 grams when minted. Seems too light, even for a low grade. Could be struck on a thin planchet or could be a Chinese fake that was worn down to pass as genuine.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you post pictures? It does seem a bit light, but if there is excessive wear... well, pictures would help. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think 5% loss is reasonable.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    edited November 11, 2020 9:09AM

@ricko always appreciates my investigative techniques :)

@claudewill87

Here is a link to the Report of the Secretary , 1902, if you go to page 191 of the Mint Directors Report, he did a study on silver coins returned to the mint and calculated "percentage of abrasion".

It looks like the average percent loss from abrasion on $164,000.00 worth of silver coins was 5.3%.

Reporthttps://books.google.com/books?id=8mDPAAAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=mint+director+annual+report&hl=en&sa=X&ei=nlHLUsGXA7SqsAT1-oDYDQ#v=onepage&q=mint director annual report&f=false

There is sooo much info in these old mint reports :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options

@1630Boston Thank you, this definitely helped me.

• Options

anytime @Claude86 :)

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once, out of curiosity, I weighed some groups of "slick" Morgan dollars and Barber silver coins before I sent them to the refiner, and the averaged about 7% light. So, figure that as the low end of genuine but very well worn coins.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

I had an opportunity to go to a coin dealer in a city to the south of me, they used both th sigma and the owner inspected it, it is a real Morgan.
    Thank you again for everyones help.

• Options

We all learned a little today :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file