Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Selling Strategy?....End of World War II 75th Anniv. AGE

Hello friends,
Ebay currently has 16 active bids at $10,000+ and another 70 listings asking as much as $25k. While these sellers will certainly make a significant profit selling at $10-12K, would it be smarter (though indeed riskier) to wait and see if prices jump "down the road" once they become more scarce ? I would imagine that those who are willing to pay $10k-$12k right now are thinking that the prices will soar in the future. Thoughts?

BTW....No, I was not lucky enough to get the gold. I was though, lucky and happy to have purchased the ASE after a long, hard fought 1.5 hour battle!!!

Comments

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Become more scarce?

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see prices a year from now lower.

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the money is important, sell now.

• Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

there's less than 2000 of them - no ones getting buried in them 😂

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2020 10:16PM

There's only about 1,300 Barbara Bush Uncs sold at the current price of $1,315 so I'd say that there's less of a chance losing money on buying a Barbara Bush Unc than in buying an End of WW2 gold 75th Anniversary 1 ozer at $10,000. Less of a chance and a lot less further to fall.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d be more worried about scams on eBay - empty box claims, wrong item sent. At over $12k I’d be inclined to use airline miles to hand deliver and make the buyer sign a document saying they got what they ordered.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

At $7,500-$10,000, I disagree.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mrbarlint said:
    Hello friends,
    Ebay currently has 16 active bids at $10,000+ and another 70 listings asking as much as $25k. While these sellers will certainly make a significant profit selling at $10-12K, would it be smarter (though indeed riskier) to wait and see if prices jump "down the road" once they become more scarce ? I would imagine that those who are willing to pay $10k-$12k right now are thinking that the prices will soar in the future. Thoughts?

BTW....No, I was not lucky enough to get the gold. I was though, lucky and happy to have purchased the ASE after a long, hard fought 1.5 hour battle!!!

Take the money and run. There is a lot of risk in potential price declines. There are only 1945 made sure. Some of the first spouse gold coins have lower mintages and sell for much less. The prices for this one are, IMHO, based largely on speculation. Even if you get more later, inflation will eat into any profit and may result in a true loss.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not participate in the coin flipping game....When I buy a coin I keep it. That being said, I obviously have no first hand experience to validate my opinion. So, with a grain of the proverbial salt, I offer my input - Those paying $10K and above, will probably never recoup their investment (other than an immediate resale during flipping fever). Historically, these coins lose value after a few years. Good luck to those involved. I just wanted an ASE for the history (I was there - sure, just a kid, but there.) :) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Flip quickly and move on.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

There have to be more than 2000 collectors. You won't get buried at the issue price. You will get buried (IMHO) at $10k plus.

Look at some of the mintages for proof bullion (platinum, for example). 1945 is not exactly scarce as there are a limited number of AGE date/mm collectors and an even smaller group of Privy mark collectors.

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot, and I mean A LOT of those Ebay sellers are 0 or low feedback sellers. Many are sellers that haven't sold anything in over a year or more. These are all signs of scams and/or hijacked accounts. I'd be very leery of buying one of these from a seller with less than a stellar and RECENT feedback history...

• Options
    CoinPhysicistCoinPhysicist Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2020 7:34AM

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

Why did they remove the disagree button... it was meant for comments like this. Anyone who is paying $10k+ for this coin at resale isn't getting it back when they sell it. Therefore they are buried in it.

Successful transactions with: wondercoin, Tetromibi, PerryHall, PlatinumDuck, JohnMaben/Pegasus Coin & Jewelry, CoinFlip, and coinlieutenant.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinPhysicist said:

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

Why did they remove the disagree button... it was meant for comments like this. Anyone who is paying $10k+ for this coin at resale isn't getting it back when they sell it. Therefore they are buried in it.

The disagree button was never so popular when it existed. LOL. You only know what you've lost after it is gone.

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:
    There's only about 1,300 Barbara Bush Uncs sold at the current price of $1,315 so I'd say that there's less of a chance losing money on buying a Barbara Bush Unc than in buying an End of WW2 gold 75th Anniversary 1 ozer at $10,000. Less of a chance and a lot less further to fall.

I agree with this 100%.

I like the Bush family, great americans, but if I'm buying Barbara Bush Uncs then I am a die hard loyal mint customer. They could sell refurbished bowling shoes and I would buy them.

• Options
    PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sell it now and pocket $10k, not to many opportunities to make 10k in a snap of a finger.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only strategy for someone interested in making money off the coin is to sell.

Will the coin increase over time? Only if it's popularity increases from where it is now (not likely since we are at peak frenzy), or if the collector base expands (also not likely given long-term shifts in attitudes toward collecting things as a hobby).

If I had a gold I'd be trying hard to sell now at anywhere near top dollar and pocket an absurd profit.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mbogoman said:
    A lot, and I mean A LOT of those Ebay sellers are 0 or low feedback sellers. Many are sellers that haven't sold anything in over a year or more. These are all signs of scams and/or hijacked accounts. I'd be very leery of buying one of these from a seller with less than a stellar and RECENT feedback history...

My strict rule: NEVER buy from an Ebay seller with 5 or less. Look but don't buy.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fathom said:

@jmski52 said:

I agree with this 100%.

I like the Bush family, great americans, but if I'm buying Barbara Bush Uncs then I am a die hard loyal mint customer. They could sell refurbished bowling shoes and I would buy them.

Barbara Bush Uncs?

"Wouldn't be prudent at this juncture..." B)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file