Home Metal Detecting

What’s the best thing you have found? Or have actually witnessed someone else find?

Gam3rBlakeGam3rBlake Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
edited November 4, 2020 11:19PM in Metal Detecting

I’ve never been metal detecting except once as a kid, but after watching a YouTube video about a guy who found 30-40 French & Spanish silver coins from the 18th century buried about 8 inches deep on a riverbank I’m very curious about it. I’m thinking about buying a Garrett Ace 400 with my Amazon Rewards points but I’m not sure yet.

I could use some more inspiration...

So what’s your best find?

Comments

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 4,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gam3rBlake since you asked, approx 1 year ago I was in the woods in NJ, uphill from an old rr right of way, along the Delaware river. Flat ground with old growth trees, noticed lots of fresh water oyster shells, some broken early applied neck bottles and fired up my ATpro. I have dug more than 50 IHC, a dozen liberty and seated dimes and 2 killer wood splitting wedges that were forged out of railroad spikes. So there's that. Peace Roy

• rickoricko Posts: 77,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

My prize is a 7 gram gold nugget.....found out west.... I do cache hunting now, and cache hunters do not discuss their finds - if any. ;) Cheers, RickO

• Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭

If you expect to find anything like that, literally a once in a lifetime find, you'll quickly be disappointed by this hobby. If you buy a Garrett Ace detector, you'll find modern change and if you get lucky you might find a silver dime or two. After years of developing your skills, including research for site selection, and the acquisition of a better detector, you might be able to find silver coins with some regularity.

• Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭

Also, if you actually want to make some good finds, I suggest you forget about getting a Garrett detector and instead buy a Minelab Vanquish or Minelab Equinox.