Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1995 US Quarter Strike Error (s)

Hi! I am new to this community. I have been collecting coins for ~50 years. I wanted to get some thoughts and observations about my 1995 "Washington Snot Blower" courtesy of the Denver mint. The divot under Washington's nose makes it look like he is blowing snot out of his nose. The coin has multiple mis-strikes on it on both the obverse & reverse.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

OK. What could cause the damage to the 1995 & word States on the coin? BTW, it makes no difference to me if it happened at the mint or from circulation. The odds of someone being able to purposely create the divot under the nose naturally and as perfect as it did on this coin are not very high. I have often thought someone may have dropped it into some kind of machine like a tree mulcher. Who knows. To me it is super cool & one of a kind however it got its look.

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 3, 2020 12:27PM

Looks like one of the damaged quarters I got in rolls from the bank last week. Almost every coin in 2 rolls of quarters was wrecked. Some were so bad, and flattened that they wouldn't fit in the coin operated washing machine.

• Options

Yeah, scarcity of coins in circulation due to people staying home with their green and not spending it. You may have to go old school and fill up the bath tube with some tide............

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

Part of the coin is flattened, and other parts gouged. In understanding the minting process, one can tell it is all post mint damage (PMD).

P.S. - if you are paying a premium for "snot" quarters, let me know and I'll make up as many as you want. ;)

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

technical term:

spare change

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

"Parking Lot Classic", have been laying around and getting run over. PMD.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Which parking lot did you find it in?

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 3, 2020 8:29PM

@MadCowDisease said:
    Who knows. To me it is super cool & one of a kind however it got its look.

about the most amount of fun you can have for a quarter this side of the border.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! :)

Sorry to say it's snot an error. :/:D

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MadCowDisease.... Welcome aboard.... Your quarter is entirely Post Mint Damage (PMD). It looks as if it spent considerable time in a market parking lot. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Appreciate the opinions. Nice to know it is a classic...........MadCowDisease is a HUGE Red Sox fan as well!!

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's an error coin.

George blew his nose in error during his pose for the coin. ;)

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file