Home U.S. Coin Forum

Coin inventory software

Is there a decent software out there for a collection that is graded where I can easily search my inventory by date and mint and grade?. That way I can easily look at my collection and respond to a fellow forum user to let them know if I might have it.

Comments

  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Most folks here use Excel and simply build their own database on a spreadsheet. If you want something online then both NGC and PCGS have registry sets where you can enter your certified (NGC and PCGS certified) coins and build your own collection. Each method allows you to customize to a great extent.

    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

    In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

    image
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 3, 2020 10:03AM

    In addition to the PCGS and NGC Registry sets, there are some non-competitive options:

  • TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I haven’t looked at NGC’s but PCGS’s inventory does allow non-PCGS items. They just aren’t eligible for a registry set. I’ve looked at a lot of coin software both online and computer based. Most of them have poor usability and are overly complicated or are just too old and probably not maintained. That would be why Excel or a spreadsheet ends up the de facto management method.

  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Golfpro .... Welcome aboard. I agree with the use of Excel.... Can be customized to your collection and interests, easily searched and managed. Cheers, RickO

  • 1946Hamm1946Hamm Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I use Coin Elite and have for over 20 years. Does everything you need.

    Have a good day, Gary
  • SnapsSnaps Posts: 187 ✭✭✭✭

    I use Quickbooks Pro.

  • bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I have used CoinManage for a few years. I just exported my collection from there to Excel. Coin manage is going downhill to me. Missing coins, poor updates. I just recently got all the exported stuff to where I want it in excel. Won't change again. Excel is the best way to build your collection inventory. IMO

  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 3, 2020 6:29AM

    DIY with Excel. Can be tailored to provide all the sales info you need at tax time. Knowledge of how to use its formulas will do all the calculating for you. Separate photo data base filed by last five of s/n.

    Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

  • DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Every year I say I’m going to do a complete inventory over the winter, using excel. Maybe this year I’ll actually get all the way through.

    I want to use it to help me decide on what to get rid of. I alway last struggle with how detailed to be with it.

    50 1922 Peace dollars
    or

    15 unc 1922
    10 Au 1922
    10 XF. 1922

    Etc. but with all the series.

  • CrustyCrusty Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Glad you decided to join up @Golfpro. For my sets I built my own on Excel. Depending on how many coins your talking about that could take quite a while. Not sure if another system would be quicker/better for a person with a larger number of coins.

  • CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 3, 2020 3:42PM

    @bsshog40 said:
    I have used CoinManage for a few years. I just exported my collection from there to Excel. Coin manage is going downhill to me. Missing coins, poor updates. I just recently got all the exported stuff to where I want it in excel. Won't change again. Excel is the best way to build your collection inventory. IMO

    You guys weren't by chance at the antique show in Round Top, TX this past weekend?

  • InditonkaInditonka Posts: 433 ✭✭✭

    Many years ago I created a coin database using Microsoft Access, still use it today. Exports reports into Excel which is very nice!

  • bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @CoinscratchFever said:

    @bsshog40 said:
    I have used CoinManage for a few years. I just exported my collection from there to Excel. Coin manage is going downhill to me. Missing coins, poor updates. I just recently got all the exported stuff to where I want it in excel. Won't change again. Excel is the best way to build your collection inventory. IMO

    You guys weren't by chance at the antique show in Round Top, TX this past weekend?

    Nope, was in grand prairie. Went to Traders Village. That place is nothing but flea market junk.

  • bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I don't have Microsoft Office so I use WPS. Not as good as MS Excel but it works. Here's a screenshot of how I've set mine up.

  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @bsshog40 said:
    I have used CoinManage for a few years. I just exported my collection from there to Excel. Coin manage is going downhill to me. Missing coins, poor updates. I just recently got all the exported stuff to where I want it in excel. Won't change again. Excel is the best way to build your collection inventory. IMO

    I've used CoinManage for a long time and one thing I learned about their updates is each one is worse than the last.

    I stopped updating it because for my use there's no real need. It's been quirky from day one when it comes to customizing and they've never addressed those very same issues from update to update.

    Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Like some others, I use excel. I am not a guru, by any means, but I am proficient in it.
    When I want to, not only can I have all my value fields and coin information fields, and do any view I want based on those items, but I can also have a directory for my photos and have a link in a cell in each row, for the photo if I want it. That way, I don't take up too much viewing space but everything is there.

    I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

  • bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Bochiman said:
    Like some others, I use excel. I am not a guru, by any means, but I am proficient in it.
    When I want to, not only can I have all my value fields and coin information fields, and do any view I want based on those items, but I can also have a directory for my photos and have a link in a cell in each row, for the photo if I want it. That way, I don't take up too much viewing space but everything is there.

    This is what I miss from Microsoft Office Excel. With my WPS that comes with Win10, I can add each individual picture for each coin. BUT, if I insert a row, WPS loses the destination of the photo and it becomes an error. MS Office could remember it.

  • CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @bsshog40 said:

    @CoinscratchFever said:

    @bsshog40 said:
    I have used CoinManage for a few years. I just exported my collection from there to Excel. Coin manage is going downhill to me. Missing coins, poor updates. I just recently got all the exported stuff to where I want it in excel. Won't change again. Excel is the best way to build your collection inventory. IMO

    You guys weren't by chance at the antique show in Round Top, TX this past weekend?

    Nope, was in grand prairie. Went to Traders Village. That place is nothing but flea market junk.

    I walked into one of the tents and asked if they had any coins and a couple stopped what they were doing and looked at me for a moment. So I could tell they were collectors too and they reminded me of your avatar pic. Your right though lots of rusty junk :)

  • nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭✭

    Here's one you can look into: carlisledevelopment.com/

  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @nencoin said:
    Here's one you can look into: carlisledevelopment.com/

    Do you have experience using this you can share?

  • erscoloerscolo Posts: 481 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I use Exact Change, which is maintained and currently at version 6.2.4. It is by no means perfect, but for my collection it does the job. It does have a robust report writer, with a major missing piece of having no manual on how to use it (syntax in using conditional reporting). I have used the program for three years or so and it far exceeds a spreadsheet in spite of some additions that would be welcome.

  • nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭✭

    @Zoins said:

    @nencoin said:
    Here's one you can look into: carlisledevelopment.com/

    Do you have experience using this you can share?

    Unfortunately, no.

  • OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

    CoinManage. Check out the video in this link.

    https://www.libertystreet.com/Coin-Collecting-Software.htm

    Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

  • mrbrklynmrbrklyn Posts: 105 ✭✭✭
    So many immigrant groups have swept through our town that Brooklyn, like Atlantis, reaches mythological proportions in the mind of the world - RI Safir 1998

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file