Home Sports Talk
Options

Multiple Big Leaguers on same High School Teams...

There are many interesting facts that surround some huge news in the history of baseball. Most people know that a measly $50 separated Hank Aaron from the New York Giants and an outfield of Irvin, Mays & Aaron. I was researching Curt Flood and was surprised that he shared an outfield IN HIGH SCHOOL of some pretty talented guys!!! Post some stories if you know 'em!

The cards here are from the Banty Red '52 Stars Modern Series, #'s 308-407...

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella

Comments

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

Wow. At the same time in HS? That's pretty amazing.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

George Brett and Orioles pitcher Scott McGregor played on the same team at El Segundo High School. Brett was one grade ahead. I seem to recall that Brett hit him very well in the Majors when they would face each other, even with McGregor being a lefty.

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Barry Zito and Mark Prior pitched on the same high school staff in San Diego. Reggie Bush and Alex Smith were high school football teammates here as well.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about 3 future major league baseball players on the same Little League team?

• Options
    BuckHunter68BuckHunter68 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    How about 3 future major league baseball players on the same Little League team?

squad!

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Eddie Murray and Ozzie Smith at Locke HS and were teammates. Two HOFers.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yogi Berra and Joe Garagiola grew up across the street from each other in St. Louis and attended the same high school, South Side Catholic, now called St. Mary's High School.

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

@countdouglas said:
    George Brett and Orioles pitcher Scott McGregor played on the same team at El Segundo High School. Brett was one grade ahead. I seem to recall that Brett hit him very well in the Majors when they would face each other, even with McGregor being a lefty.

That's cool. I bet George hit most everyone pretty well though. B)

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AFLfan said:
    Barry Zito and Mark Prior pitched on the same high school staff in San Diego. Reggie Bush and Alex Smith were high school football teammates here as well.

Football seems to be very common for whatever reason. Elvis Grbac and Desmond Howard played high school football together and then attended U of M together. Matt Guttierez and Maurice Jones-Drew (and probably other guys I'm not thinking of) played together at De La Salle High School (home of the 151-game winning streak), to name just two pairs.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dunno if they played any sports together or not but Matthew Stafford and Clayton Kershaw went to high school together.